Register Login
Save up to 15% with Adrian Flux insurance!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2008   #1
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
glow plug light flashing

Can you help with this NEW fault discovered this car give me problems after problems. I have a 2001 Fiat punto 1.9 JTD. 65000 miles. it start fine , as usual. However within about 20 seconds of starting the little orange coil type indicator light on the dash comes on and slowly flashes and stay flashing all the time im driving i have read it glow plugs the engine dont sound as nice as it did does this mean i need to replace them all or could it be something else
and what would the cost be to replace them

Thanks for your help.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides | FAQs


Last edited by whogiveaffff; 27-05-2008 at 10:38.
whogiveaffff is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-05-2008   #2
Loves Boost!
 
ChrisUK's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Newton Aycliffe
Posts: 14,334
Thanks: 358
Trader Rating: 1
ChrisUK has donated!
Bartender Champion, Wood Firing Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: glow plug light flashing

you need to gets your ECU codes read to be sure. But I'd say its just your glow plugs.
__________________


ChrisUK is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-05-2008   #3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: glow plug light flashing

just went and had a look to see if i could find where the plugs go but with no joy

but notice the maf sennor was off so put back on dont know if thats got anything to do with it

plug light still flashing but goes off after a min or so

i try without starting and it doing the same thing

just sent wife out for drive as she the one saying it staying on all the time
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides | FAQs

whogiveaffff is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-05-2008   #4
-~Moderator~-
 
a1ant's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4,446
Thanks: 641
Trader Rating: 1
a1ant has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: glow plug light flashing

Hi mate,

That is you glow plug warning light. The flashing means that one or more of the glow plugs are faulty, or the controll unit. If the car is starting fine then i would suggest that it is just one of the glow plugs and i therefore wouldnt worry too much about it. The flashing normally lasts around 30 seconds after then engine is started and then stops.

The glow plugs should not affect the running of the engine, just the starting, and thefrore the ruff running is likely to be something else.

The MAF sensor will not affect this light. Sometimes they are unplugged if the sensor is faulty and the owner does not want to replace the sensor (costs over 100). With it unplugged, the engine will run with a default setting.

Its a bit of a tricky job to change the glow plugs as they are not vey accesable, but not an expensive one.

Hope that helps,
Alan
__________________
If you see a problem post, please click the report button

Last edited by a1ant; 27-05-2008 at 13:39.
a1ant is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 27-05-2008   #5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: glow plug light flashing

Quote Originally Posted by a1ant View Post
Hi mate,

That is you glow plug warning light. The flashing means that one or more of the glow plugs are faulty, or the controll unit. If the car is starting fine then i would suggest that it is just one of the glow plugs and i therefore wouldnt worry too much about it. The flashing normally lasts around 30 seconds after then engine is started and then stops.

The glow plugs should not affect the running of the engine, just the starting, and thefrore the ruff running is likely to be something else.

The MAF sensor will not affect this light. Sometimes they are unplugged if the sensor is faulty and the owner does not want to replace the sensor (costs over 100). With it unplugged, the engine will run with a default setting.

Its a bit of a tricky job to change the glow plugs as they are not vey accesable, but not an expensive one.

Hope that helps,
Alan

thanks you clear a lot up i going to give changing the glow plugs a go cheapest i found online was 10 each
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides | FAQs

whogiveaffff is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-05-2008   #6
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: glow plug light flashing

well just incase someone intrested i have found a set of 4 glow plugs for 17.75p inc p+p the brand is wellman and what i have read on the web they are a good brand
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides | FAQs

whogiveaffff is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-05-2008   #7
Loves Boost!
 
ChrisUK's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Newton Aycliffe
Posts: 14,334
Thanks: 358
Trader Rating: 1
ChrisUK has donated!
Bartender Champion, Wood Firing Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: glow plug light flashing

Quote Originally Posted by whogiveaffff View Post
well just incase someone intrested i have found a set of 4 glow plugs for 17.75p inc p+p the brand is wellman and what i have read on the web they are a good brand
Have they fixed the fault or are they not fitted yet?
__________________


ChrisUK is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-05-2008   #8
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 46
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: glow plug light flashing

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisUK View Post
Have they fixed the fault or are they not fitted yet?
its a punto what can i say i order the plugs now the light stop flashing all is well with my punto again
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides | FAQs

whogiveaffff is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-05-2008   #9
-~Moderator~-
 
a1ant's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4,446
Thanks: 641
Trader Rating: 1
a1ant has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: glow plug light flashing

LOL!! Hang on to them though, as it may be that one or more of them is on their way out and working intermittently. Will save you the hastle of ordering them all again when it does go properly!!

Alan
__________________
If you see a problem post, please click the report button
a1ant is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) glow plug light flashing utnut Punto (Mk2/2b) 1 18-01-2008 13:02
(T) Flashing glow-plug warning light OilBurner Marea 3 30-08-2007 00:40
(T) Glow plug light flashing for 60 secs seoras Doblo 9 28-07-2007 13:57
(T) Glow Plug Warning Light Flashing oldbillkane Doblo 6 03-07-2006 09:58
(T) Glow Plug Light Flashing PaulE Marea 2 22-07-2005 19:22