General Valuation

Currently reading:
General Valuation

ProtoFJ

Trying to trade in my Stilo at the mo and have been quite dissapointed by the offer from the dealer. He says that Cap black book puts my car at £3500. Anyone on here have access to the latest black book and able to confirm this?

2003/03plate Abarth. All Usual extras except - no sunroof, no leather.
Silver 48000miles and in good nick. FSH

Cheers

From Parkers.co.uk:

Original Price £16,195
Franchised Dealer £6,145
Independent Dealer £5,360
Private Good £4,620
Private Poor £3,380
Part Exchange £4,205

Hi, I have family in the motor trade and he tells me it depends on a few different factors like if it is a local indipendant or a main dealer, how much profit the dealer has in the car he's trying to flog you and the windscreen price. Also how desirable is the trade in, but never accept their first or even the second offer, if its a main franchised dealer wait until the end of the month and ask to deal with the sales manager, because if he/she aint met their monthly target he/she will bend over backwards to make a sale.
If they are adimant on the trade-in figure then negotiate hard off the winscreen price or get extras chucked as freebies.
Hope this helps(y)

check these links out to get a valuation:

glass' via vauxhall site:
http://www.virtual-showroom.co.uk/scripts/nuvv/nuvv1.asp?clientId=vauxhall&laf=vauxhall&nuvvpath=b&sessionid=0
if the link doesnt work go to vauxhall.co.uk and select owners, value your car

what car:

http://www.whatcar.com/valuations.aspx
(though they dont list mine!)

wisebuyers:
http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/used-car-prices/

parkers:
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/used-prices/

using these and valuing my car as a test, they were all pretty consistent so you should get a reasonable idea of what you would get

Just checked the value of mine.......wish I hadn't, guess I'll be running it into the ground:cry: Only worth around £2300 trade in (n) So lost sround £11K in depreciation in 4 years....doh!!!

Mother in law traded her 51 plate Golf for £5600, car in poorer condition than mine but worth twice trade in price...whats that about?

Last edited:
Just checked the value of mine.......wish I hadn't, guess I'll be running it into the ground:cry: Only worth around £2300 trade in (n) So lost sround £11K in depreciation in 4 years....doh!!!

Mother in law traded her 51 plate Golf for £5600, car in poorer condition than mine but worth twice trade in price...whats that about?
Yes but remember just because someone might offer £2300 for your car it doesn't follow anyone can buy it for that - which is not your problem since you've got the car.

Another way to look at is that your Mother in law has already taken a loss but you haven't (yet) :)

Just remember, the sale value is irrelevant, it's the cost to change. Your mother in laws' car may have a higher residual but she probably paid more for it.

She bought her Golf second hand when it was 12 months old, paid around £8000 for it....it was only a Golf Driver with auto gearbox, nothing special....whereas mine has all the bells and whistles as you can see from the list below.

Ouch! That's pretty poor compared to the £3900 I got for my old '03 1.6 Active Sport with no service history and 72k+ on the clocks!:eek:

@ Argo..She's bought another Golf, slightly higher spec this time and brand spankers new. Guess she's just very good at negotiating with dealer...I'll take her along next time I'm buying a new car:slayer:

@ Argo..She's bought another Golf, slightly higher spec this time and brand spankers new. Guess she's just very good at negotiating with dealer...I'll take her along next time I'm buying a new car:slayer:
Well there you go - most likely spent what say another £10k - and I bet it's still not up to the spec of yours - just maybe a bit shinier.

Get the polish out :D

Hi,

Shouldn't really tell you this but tell the dealer you want to take out finance, then pretend to be really fixated on the part exchange value. The dealer will re-jig the figures to give you what you want by increasing the finance rate to recoup the over allowance on your px.

Once you have driven off the forecourt in your new car write to the finance company and ask for a settlement figure. You can then pay off the debt with very little interest and enjoy a sneaky smirk knowing you've shafted them for a change.

You ain't seen me right? ;)

Andy

Back