Making an OBD to Fiat connector

Currently reading:
Making an OBD to Fiat connector

Ok so i want to make a connector so my OBD, OBD2, EOBD reader will be able to read any fault codes off of my Bravo HGT 2001.

Is this possible?

The idea i have is to get an OBD2 socket out a car at the scrapyard, aka a nice Volvo V70, or Punto mk2 JTD sitting and the wiring running from the back, then hopefully i can splice in a Fiat connector (dont know what this looks like anyone got some pics before i splice in my MAF sensor ;) )

Obviously i dont know what pins send what data, but was hopping someone here could help, so i can connect pin 1 fiat to whichever pin it corresponds to on the OBD socket.

I will take pics and make a nice guide when i get it working. If someone has done this can they either drop me a pm or post back here.

Cheers! (y)

you obviously havent seen the millions of threads i've written about using a few bits of wire to get a 3 pin connector on your car working with an obd connector on a reader. its very easy, and free!

you need 4 lengths of wire. use 3 lengths of wire to connect the 3 pin connector to the obd connector. also use 1 length of wire for power to code reader.

on the 16 pin obd2 connector use the following pins
4- chassis ground (connect to ground on 3 pin connector, or any good chassis earth)
5- signal ground (connect to black wire pin on 3 pin connector)
7- k line (connect to white wire pin on 3 pin connector)
16- 12vDC (connect to battery positive terminal)

you need to remember that there are several 3 pin connectors. the main one is on the front of the fuse box cover in the engine bay.

you could very easily wire a obd connector permanently onto your car (only 4 wires), but you'd need to do at least 3 connectors to cover all modules since there are at least 3 connectors on your car and you cant wire them all into one obd connector safely.

personally i think its better to use 4 lengths of wire and the fiat 3 pin connectors.

Last edited:
no list that i'm aware of. there is the main one on the engine bay fuse box (back right), and another at the back left that i think is for abs. there is also an airbag module connector somewhere inside the car iirc. i havent seen any other connectors, yet.

Greetings from New York,
I discovered this informative thread concerning the pin connection between an obd2 16-pin and the Fiat 3-pin connector. I hope someone can help me with a related wiring issue: I am trying to diagnose a problem with the controlled damping system on a 1992 Alfa 164s (the one with electronic struts). There is a suspension control system diagnosis connector in the trunk which uses the Fiat 3-pin format. I have the Fiat-Lancia Tester (FLT) and the ADT 101A adaptor that plugs into it. The 101A terminates with a 9-pin RS232 D connector. I'm missing the connector/wires that go between this adaptor and the 3-pin female plug in the trunk. The wire colors of the 3-pin in the truck are black, white/red, light blue/white. Can anyone instruct me how to fabricate a connector, 3-pin to the 9-pin? I assume it would be very similar to Jug's 4-wire scenario for the obd2 to 3-pin, with one free wire being going the the battery (+) terminal. Thanks in advance for your advice. --Steven Immel

Back