Technical Engine fault/sensor fault JTD

Currently reading:
Technical Engine fault/sensor fault JTD

Looks like I'm on my own here then.

Bozzy. Have you done a search on "overboost"?

Bozzy. Yes, seems many have had a similar problem so hopefully the dealers will be able to diagnose it tomorrow.

Bozzy. Good luck with it, let us know how you get on. :)

Bozzy. Wil do.

bozzy said:
As it says, three beeps, engine fault, sensor fault and no turbo?
(
I get the three beeps followed by engine fault (red engine block on display) but nothing else.

Are you actually getting "Sensor Fault" & "No Turbo" displayed :confused:

Pretty sure my mpg is down rather than up.

Argonought said:
I get the three beeps followed by engine fault (red engine block on display) but nothing else.

Are you actually getting "Sensor Fault" & "No Turbo" displayed :confused:

Pretty sure my mpg is down rather than up.

Argo, got a warning light, engine failure, sensor failure. No mention of turbo on the panel but you know that it ain't there.

Sensor failure dissapeared, warning light dissapeared, turbo re-appeared all a day later.

It's a been a pretty weird day for me as my 'gut' reaction was that I've not used the turbo enough (last two months have barely got out of town) and today on a 250 mile return trip decided to make up for it once the turbo came on line (when the engine light goes out). Found if I kept it on turbo then it tended to stay in but would tend to drop out (and stay out) at lower speeds. I think you can follow the drift of how this affects driving style :D

What's weird is that you can be flying like a 'bat out of hell' :devil: one moment but struggling to overtake anything (and I mean anything :eek: ) the next.

If I don't get this fixed soon I'm likely to be parted from my licence :((n)

T14086 said:
Map/throttle body update been done?

T, the update was done but they wiped my angeltuning re-map so when I had another re-map it was probably removed.

Since Wednesday night it's been tip top, no warning lights and full power.

I took it in today and when I collected it the chap said it's all sorted now and they have removed the error and turbo working normally. I said that's how I dropped it off this-morning. Have to say these guys are really terrible with their customer facing skills. A VERY old man was trying to tell the man his Punto (Grande) was banging when he steered around a corner. The manager said "I aint arguing with you pal, there's nothing wrong with it". Another customer jumped to the old fellas defence and asked him if that's anyway to address a senior citizen? Fair play missus.

That's the second incident I have seen here this week where had it been me I would have asked them to come out onto the forecourt. Last week I was at JCS, another main dealer and the beaviour was outstanding so I know it's limited to a few bad eggs.

Mine's now sorted (y)

Removed the overboost valve (mine had already been moved up by the side of the battery tray). Noticed the problem straight away. Although someone had done a nice job of moving the valve they'd reconnected the pipework with cheap rubber tubing which had started to perish and quite a sizable hole had formed where the rubber had split.

So it turns out the engine fault light had nothing to do with lack of use of turbo, as I'd first thought, and was just down to a dodgy piece of rubber tubing :bang:

overboost.jpg

I've made a cleaner connection now using a jubilee clip to hold it on firmly.

For anyone that owns a JTD I'd strongly recommend:

1. Make sure your overboost valve is located up by the battery. This would seem to be a standard Fiat mod so best get it done by your dealer if it's not already there.
  2. If it's already been done then check the tubing carefully for defects.
  3. If you get 'Engine Fault' and turbo drops out on a journey then have the sense to stop and check the tubing is tight on the overboost valve instead of driving for nearly a 100 miles like I did with an intermittent turbo!

Last edited:
bozzy said:
Argo, great info but I swear I cannot locate that part anywhere under the bonnett ???
Maybe yours is still low down by the nearside front (under the headlights I believe according to T14086) although that wouldn't make a lot of sense as I think you have a newer model than mine :confused:

Argonought said:
Maybe yours is still low down by the nearside front (under the headlights I believe according to T14086) although that wouldn't make a lot of sense as I think you have a newer model than mine :confused:

I remember T14086 saying it was under the right headlamp?, I can't see anything like that valve anywhere. I will ask somebody at Gaydon to point it out to me. Saying that all is well atm.

Bozz, There's an easy way to find it.

At the front of the engine is a metal device that looks rather like a fuel pump (it isn't of course) and from it leads a plastic tube. If you follow this tube then it should take you to the overboost valve which will most likely be quite dirty if it's under the headlamp.

Have a good day at Gaydon (y) I'd come up myself if I didn't have family ties :(

Back