faded red paint

Currently reading:
faded red paint

what shall i use on faded red paint? whats best? just t-cut then wax? would want it to come up the original deep like red , been told to use auto glym resin and t-cut mixed together? what have people used in the past? :)

and whats best, t-cut or colour restorer? or the colour restorer for red cars? :confused: and that safe cut stuff, how about that? :)

cheers people (y)

I sorted out some very dulled paint on a Red Megane and recently on a black Mk1 Fiat Uno. I used Wilkinsons Colour Restorer which was only £1.99 for a large bottle and does the job. For something slightly more aggresive Autoglym Paint Restorer does a good job. If you are working by hand, i.e. not machine polishing, then it would be difficult to cause any problems with removing too much paint although AG Paint Restorer will probably be a be quicker.

AG Super Resin Polish is a little mild to restore heavily faded paint, what you could do is try Resin, if it isn't making enough impact drop back to AG Paint Restorer. Once you've finished follow up with AG Resin for protection. If you really want to go one step further you could apply AG Extra Gloss Protection after the Resin.

I did t-cut (original) then a good wax for the Cinq and got an amazing result. This is it half-cut so you can compare:

Attachments

• Image(358).jpg
    Image(358).jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,057
I though the red was laquered over, so if it has faded you will have to either remove the laquer to cut the base coat back to red, or most likely get a respray.

Sorry, worth registering if you want you car looking like new. I've never looked back.:)

beau_4076 said:
what shall i use on faded red paint? whats best? just t-cut then wax? would want it to come up the original deep like red , been told to use auto glym resin and t-cut mixed together? what have people used in the past? :)

and whats best, t-cut or colour restorer? or the colour restorer for red cars? :confused: and that safe cut stuff, how about that? :)

cheers people (y)

Keep away from t-cut(n)

I used some fericula G3 on my red uno and that brought it back to factory colour with a little elbow grease, then a good polish with Mer then a wax to seal. Can only do this once really though as you run the risk of cutting all the paint off and exposing the primer.

Cant do this on my cinq though as its been laquered :( Oh well, planned on respraying it anyway :devil:

That is a good example of an extreme restoration. You'd be surprised what can be achieved with a simple cheap rotary polisher. That example took many hours of machine polishing - it wasn't a respray. Paint has a thickness and is normally laid down in layers which fade outside in, remove the top layers and reveal good paint, simple really. Clearcoat cars don't tend to fade but can dull if neglected, red single stage is well known for fading but you can prevent by regularly cleaning and waxing with the occassional polish to bring back the shine.

Detailing World is a good site for advice some advice on car care techniques, a bit too heavy on the sales front with all the links to recommended traders though (y) and you really need to be pretty committed.

Back