Technical Bravo climate control flap actuator motor replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Bravo climate control flap actuator motor replacement

slow rider

Hey all,
I own a 2009 Tjet with automatic transmission.

My climate control has two issues:

1. Selecting air flow from inside the car or outside does not work - air only comes from the outside.

2. Cold air is coming out only on the left side (driver side in my case).

Searching online + taking with some folks led me to believe the problem is that the motors that drive the actuators that move the flaps are broken and that it's a fairly common issue with Bravos. The quote I got for fixing this issue is about $650 + parts so this comes out at an amount I just can't spend on the car.

I'm fairly technical and have good hands but until now only did minimal work on the car (console replacement, some normal maintenance and such) however I'm interested to find out if it would make sense to try and fix this by myself.

The main thing I'm after is a procedure that will give me access to those motors without removing the dashboard which is something I'm not interested in doing and the very thing that makes this fix expensive to begin with.

Any help would be appreciated. I would gladly document my work to create a guide for future users :)

Hi Mr Slow, I've just had mine fixed by Small car services bases in Bishop Waltham. £150 all in. See my last post. Dean is on here as "burrowsdeano". Can't recommend him high enough

The recirculating motor /flapper connector cannot be replaced without removing the dash, all other CAN.
It is ok if it,s stuck to suck from outside, oxygenated air.

First thing is you will need one of these tools: https://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/12020956/images/03044a-1.jpg
Not the bit, i am referring to the ratchet, don't remember if the screws are torx or regular hex; If it's hex, it is something small like 5.5-6mm, a ratcheting spanner will be best.

The main thing is.. it needs to be as short as possible.

The heat controller motor/connector is one of the easiest to replace(there is one on each side).

When I did it, I removed the center console, the radio, the glove box, the steering column.. etc.. all the panels that were relatively easy to remove, just to get a few more mm of space.

Thanks for info guys!

Yes shipping the car might stretch by budget a bit. I can probably live with replacing all the motors and other bits except the "air source" motor.

Removing the dash scares me and many garages over here are not interested in taking jobs like that so they will quote you very high in hopes you will go elsewhere.

Where can I find guides, pictures, drawings or anything like that so I'll know the procedures to remove everything and where to locate the parts that require replacement.

It would also be good to have a parts list with catalog numbers so I could order all the required bits before taking the car apart. I would like to have it done in a single weekend so I have about 2 days worth of work on the car. After that I need it to be put together so I can get to work.

Just replaced the 2 broken pieces awhile ago.
Quite a pain to do this job. Need patience especially the bottom actuator. 3 to 5 hr job.

Stuffs you be taking out in order to access it.
IMG_3761.JPG

Do see following on how to remove the panels.
Tool required. T25, T20, 5mm Allen key and this small 5.5mm wrench.
IMG_3757.JPG

Remove glove box
IMG_3565.JPG
IMG_3567.JPG
Take out both left/right piece.
IMG_3714.JPG
Pull both left/right out
IMG_3717.JPG
IMG_3719.JPG
Carefully push this outward. Can broke easily.
Glove box is out.

Push this in. So you won't break it when removing the panel.
IMG_3726.JPG
Remove this panel. T25 and 5 mm Allen key.

Pull this 2 out
IMG_3558.JPG
IMG_3559.JPG

Remove gear knob cover
IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG
Remove 5 T25 screws and the piece. And the visible screws under that area. Need not remove the screw on the right of charging port.

Remove this screw (T25) to remove cup holder
IMG_3546.JPG
IMG_3547.JPG

Then remove armrest with these 2 screws
IMG_3551.JPG

Remove this panel and the 4 T25 screws.
IMG_3555.JPG

Remove this piece. Push gear knob front for a bit more space. You will also want to move your seats to remove it.
IMG_3728.JPG

Remove this front left foot panel.
IMG_3732.JPG

Then screws on the other left one. And remove it.
IMG_3730.JPG

Take out the glove box mounting.
IMG_3745.JPG
IMG_3740.JPG
IMG_3734.JPG
Take out just the t25 screw here.

IMG_3736.JPG
IMG_3738.JPG
IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3742.JPG
IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3758.JPG
Done.

The top 2 actuator you easily remove with T25 but tricky for the one at the bottom.

Top 2
IMG_3748.JPG

Bottom
IMG_3754.JPG
Use 5.5 mm socket to remove top 2 screw.

Bottom screw
IMG_3753.JPG
IMG_3756.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG
For the bottom actuator, turn on it engine to let it rotate. Off engine once it rotate somewhere in the middle position. Bottom flap on has a small room to rotate.

Good luck.

Thank you so much - this is well over what I had expected. You made the work 100 times easier!

BTW - the air source selector motor can not be accessed this way?

For that I'm not sure. Just figure out on how to remove along the way. That's my 2nd attempt just today. Replaced only the top actuator but didn't had the right tool to remove the bottom one for my first attempt. Saw your post so I document mine today.

After fixing up the actuators, do climate control reset before putting back the panels. Mine got error after putting back panels. Right side still blows a slightly warmer air. One of the motor could be faulty. Need to open up again...

After fixing up the actuators, do climate control reset before putting back the panels. Mine got error after putting back panels. Right side still blows a slightly warmer air. One of the motor could be faulty. Need to open up again...

You need to take it out, then use a 9v battery to spin the motor around.
Best way is to use a multimeter and measure both of the potentiometer values.... to make sure you are in the middle of the potentiomer value with the motor back in place, installed on the flap.
The plastic connector can be installed at least in 2 positions ( 180 degrees out)

Sadly, after doing offset on all the 3 motor (left hand side), Climate control reset ok, right vent still blowing warm air. Google a bit and found there’s a 4th actuator near cabin filter. It’s enclosed. Tested actuator ok as the white lever moves when adjusted right control to hi or lo. Maybe something is broken internally?Image1509002034.607436.jpg

Woohoo... AC is cool again. Since it’s always cool on the left side, I nvr suspect gas is the problem. Finally got it topped up and solve my prob. Without ac in Singapore is a killer [emoji855][emoji855][emoji855]

Hy,
first i need to thanks this awesome tutorial Artorious!

I have the same problem with my Bravo (2007, 1.4 Petrol) + I don't feel much air coming out of the winscreen vents, the windscreen demister has become ineffective.

What do You think one of the actuator that you repaired in the tutorial can be responsible for this fault too?

Back