General Car sounds like a boy racer...

Currently reading:
General Car sounds like a boy racer...

Dexter12321

Driving back from West Sussex last night and my car all of a sudden started sounding like a boy racer. Even had a little crackle/pop when I took my foot of the accelerator.

I've just started it up this morning & it's the same. I think ive narrowed it down to a dodgy/bad join in the exhaust. When I hold my hand over the join a lot of air/compression is escaping. The join is right under the bulk of the engine.

How do I go about fixing the join ? What parts do I need to buy ? Is it just a simple seal (nothing's ever simple with my car).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1562.JPG
    IMG_1562.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
Driving back from West Sussex last night and my car all of a sudden started sounding like a boy racer. Even had a little crackle/pop when I took my foot of the accelerator.

I've just started it up this morning & it's the same. I think ive narrowed it down to a dodgy/bad join in the exhaust. When I hold my hand over the join a lot of air/compression is escaping. The join is right under the bulk of the engine.

How do I go about fixing the join ? What parts do I need to buy ? Is it just a simple seal (nothing's ever simple with my car).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Try putting some washers and nuts on the studs that are sticking out and tightening them first.

Looks like the ones that should me there have fallen off.

I agree with jack, but it looks like the reason they've come off is because the threads have completely rusted off. I don't know if it's a captive stud, or if it's a nut and bolt arrangement which hold the 2 exhaust sections together. If it's a captive stud, changing the whole exhaust section would be the easiest thing to do (chances are if the studs have rusted that badly, then the rest of that section won't be too far behind), otherwise you could drill them out and replace with a bolt and nut arrangement. I'd also replace the gasket between the 2 sections.

Either way, it should be a fairly cheap fix.

Hi, thanks for getting back to me so quickly !

I agree trying nuts & bolts first. But the existing fixing method won't budge. It's not a bolt it just seems to look like a piece of metal. And I can't hit them out with a hammer. And I can't get a socket on the back of them either :/

Attachments

• IMG_1565.JPG
    IMG_1565.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 69

I agree trying nuts & bolts first. But the existing fixing method won't budge. It's not a bolt it just seems to look like a piece of metal. And I can't hit them out with a hammer. And I can't get a socket on the back of them either :/
It used to have threads on that have rusted right off as eklipse said.
Follow eklipse suggestions.
Either take off exhaust section , drill out rusted captive studs and replace with bolts washers nuts , or get a new exhaust section .

Hi,
I agree with Eklipze3k and Jackwho, repalce with bolts. Problem is access to remove rusted studs. best tool would be a die grinder to grind it flush with flange then drill through, Next choce would be a dremel type tool or a small cylinrical or ball shaped grind stone in a pistol drill e.g.
s-l225.jpg

A bit of a akward job, but quite satifying to save the exhaust and money if you do it.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Cheap fix (but not so easy): drill the welded struts off and replace by good old fashioned nuts and bolt, thight them and hopefully the seal will get 'sealed' again.
Less cheap, but easyer: go buy the part you need and replace it ;-)
Easyest, but more expansive: go to the next exhaust Guy or back street garage and they'll fix it ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Back