Technical Black Smoke and Misfire

Currently reading:
Technical Black Smoke and Misfire

turbo93

Hi all,

Just got '99 1.2 60 punto style with a misfiring problem. Apparently the old owner had changed the plugs and the problem was gone but after a while it was back. I also noted that black smoke comes out of the exhaust when accelerating. Once you get going the car runs okay i guess but you still feel a lack of power. Any suggestions on what might be causing the problem? Car is not overheating. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Well black smoke means its running super rich... So either its putting to much fuel in or it can't get enough air.. Could be quite a few things really.

Have you pulled the plugs out? Are they all black and sooty or just some of them?

check the air filter, would have to be super clogged to do this, doubtful on its own it would make black smoke on its own but a dirty one will not help.

Does the engine management light come on at all? or stay on all the time or anything.

Could be the injector is dirty and not shutting properly

Could be the lambda sensor

Check the coolant temp sensor is working properly, nominal resistance figures are in the haynes. Like the air filter this failing prob wouldnt cause bad black smoke but can make it run rich so worth checking.

Could be issue with map sensor and/or vac lines.

Is the throttle body clean if you take the airbox off?

Could be crank sensor on way out...

So yeah, could be many things or combination of things. Could you give more detail.. Does the car start ok and get worse as it warms up or hard to start in general. Would you say its getting worse or not? Does it misfire all through the rev range, just at idle or partial loads. From what you have said all I can really summise is that something is wrong and so it runs rich and once the plugs get sooted up enough it stops running properly. If they are all black it might be worth cleaning them up a bit and checking the gaps while you try figure this out.

Well black smoke means its running super rich... So either its putting to much fuel in or it can't get enough air.. Could be quite a few things really.

Have you pulled the plugs out? Are they all black and sooty or just some of them?

check the air filter, would have to be super clogged to do this, doubtful on its own it would make black smoke on its own but a dirty one will not help.

Does the engine management light come on at all? or stay on all the time or anything.

Could be the injector is dirty and not shutting properly

Could be the lambda sensor

Check the coolant temp sensor is working properly, nominal resistance figures are in the haynes. Like the air filter this failing prob wouldnt cause bad black smoke but can make it run rich so worth checking.

Could be issue with map sensor and/or vac lines.

Is the throttle body clean if you take the airbox off?

Could be crank sensor on way out...

So yeah, could be many things or combination of things. Could you give more detail.. Does the car start ok and get worse as it warms up or hard to start in general. Would you say its getting worse or not? Does it misfire all through the rev range, just at idle or partial loads. From what you have said all I can really summise is that something is wrong and so it runs rich and once the plugs get sooted up enough it stops running properly. If they are all black it might be worth cleaning them up a bit and checking the gaps while you try figure this out.

Well the misfire remains the same even when car heats up. It misfires through all the rev range or at least thats what it seems. Today ill try pulling off the plugs and giving them a clean and try them again.

Image1504799566.032908.jpg this pipe seems missing. Any idea where it goes?

thats the feed for the map sensor from memory, i think i can see the vac line that should be on there in the pic

View attachment 184033

follow that pipe... Also check its not got any splits in it.

Yes! In fact the pipe was cracked and was causing this issue. Cut the cracked piece and fit the pipe back in place. The car is running great now! Thanks for continuously helping out in all my posts :)

Back