General Brake fluid

Currently reading:
General Brake fluid

kfreeth83

Hi hope we are all having a good weekend.

I was wondering if someone could help me. It seems since having brake pads changed about 4 months ago that my brake fluid seems to go down quickly. Since having them done I have had to top up my fluid twice ( last being today )

It has gone from top line to half between Max and min in two months. Breaking is normal. apart from rarely sounding like rubbing as stopping.

Is there anything I should look at to try work out what the fault is?

Many thanks

New to all this so wanted to check first. Thought leak would cause problem to brake use.

Thanks for replying

check clutch slave cylinder ,these often leak and get their fluid from brake master cylinder,if no leak here check under car rear for failed rear brake cylinders by looking for wet rear plates or look on axle beam drivers side for a leaking constipation valve,remember a leak can turn into a gush so needs sorting yesterday:)
front hoses chaff through too.ask ziggy

Oh yes.... check them flexis for damage
U dont want one popping on you....

As for wet back plates
Whip them drums off... ull have a clear visual on how bad if its the rear cylinder the leak is

A full inspection is needed, as loss of fluid is either a sign of a leak of heavily worn components

Ziggy

Thanks for replying. Am thinking to take it to garage had pads done as it seems to be since they had their hands on it and check their work if not I'll go to my normal garage for a break check .

Sounds like a lot to check and being brakes best leave to someone else.

Sorry if was duplicate post but being new to this DIY car stuff and don't know break set up. So was looking for advice on places to look for to learn.

After check garage have pointed out it's the compensator.

Sorry if was duplicate post but being new to this DIY car stuff and don't know break set up. So was looking for advice on places to look for to learn.

After check garage have pointed out it's the compensator.
The load level sensor on the rear axle
The more weight on the back - opens the valve up allowing more fluid to the rear drums (less of a restriction)
Meaning there is greater effort coming from the rear brakes

These aint cheap! And if the pipes dont come out easily in one piece, itll very quickly become a nightmare job....

Itll require a full arse bleed too, so if they drum cylinders are seized solid its now very messy place to be.....

Ziggy

The only place the garage could find one is fiat and price was about 170 just for part. :(

It better then £170. Only happened since had pads changed so bit miffed no way of proving it though to garage

It better then £170. Only happened since had pads changed so bit miffed no way of proving it though to garage
He wont have touched it tho....
On a pad change itll be not touched at all!

Not even on a drum service

Only thing is
A - generally its failed
B - he pressure bled it and used too much pressure (dowt it)
C - its suffered (saltt)water ingress which has caused it to leak, which in the uk isnt uncommon to rot seals....

Ziggy

Cheers Ziggy. Spoke to someone they say sounds like opened caliper with fluid cap on

Be difficult to take on garage with no proof though. Had car three years before they done pads and never had to touch fluid.

Back