Technical Front Wipers not returning to start position

Currently reading:
Technical Front Wipers not returning to start position

JohnWick

Hey everyone,

Just a note to start - This is a 1989 Uno Fire 45

Recently about a week ago my front wipers stopped working. After a week of checking connections, the motor, the switch, and earth terminals, suddenly they worked again. Fiat reliability for you.

However, when you stop the wipers now they no longer return to the starting position and just stop wherever they are now even if its in the middle of the windscreen.

First thought would be a relay - But the uno doesn't have one??

Any advice?
Thanks in advance guys

Hey everyone,

Just a note to start - This is a 1989 Uno Fire 45

Recently about a week ago my front wipers stopped working. After a week of checking connections, the motor, the switch, and earth terminals, suddenly they worked again. Fiat reliability for you.

However, when you stop the wipers now they no longer return to the starting position and just stop wherever they are now even if its in the middle of the windscreen.

First thought would be a relay - But the uno doesn't have one??

Any advice?
Thanks in advance guys

Hi,
There is a switch contact insde the wiper motor that sets the park it is powered with the wiper set to off. There are two possible faults:
1/ Contact in wiper motor faulty
2/ No power to wiper motor in "off" stalk position (faultyl stalk, wiring or connector).

So first thing is to disconnect wiper motor connector, set stalk switch to off , ignition on and check with a voltmeter (or test lamp) for voltage on one of the pins. If there is voltages you need to repair or replace the motor. I don't know the Uno motor but generally there is a cover over the gear box the will expose the contacts. Cleaning the contacts (and possibly slightly bending any sprung arm) may be enough to fix it.
If there is no voltage at the connector it's likey to be the stalk switch but you should check the wiring too.

HTH,
Robert G8RPI.

Back