Technical Aftermarket brake pads / discs ?

Currently reading:
Technical Aftermarket brake pads / discs ?

theshootist

Just wondering if any of you guys have replaced worn out pads or discs for aftermarket items ?

Not overly impressed with my Fiat 500x Cross Plus 4x4 brakes.

Sure - they are very effective and stop me fast but I find a lack of "feel" in them - they seem to be on/off rather than progressive - if that makes any sense ?

Just wondering if any of the aftermarket items are any more progressive in terms of "feel" ?

Just wondering if any of you guys have replaced worn out pads or discs for aftermarket items ?

Not overly impressed with my Fiat 500x Cross Plus 4x4 brakes.

Sure - they are very effective and stop me fast but I find a lack of "feel" in them - they seem to be on/off rather than progressive - if that makes any sense ?

Just wondering if any of the aftermarket items are any more progressive in terms of "feel" ?
What sort of mileage on you on? I've got a Cross Plus 4x4 Auto with 24,500 on the clock and the brakes are fine for me. I don't know what discs/pads are in there but I haven't had them changed so I assume they're original fit

It does depend on your driving style I find. If you tend to be a late braker and use more pressure than normal the brakes have extra assistance making them a bit sharper to come on. If you brake more steadily then they act very smoothly.

Low mileage - less than 9k so far.

Its not manner of driving - thats not changed since my last car.

Its a matter of feeling like the brakes are an on/off switch compared to as dimmer switch !

Low mileage - less than 9k so far.

Its not manner of driving - thats not changed since my last car.

Its a matter of feeling like the brakes are an on/off switch compared to as dimmer switch !
Try pagid

I certainly don't have that feeling from mine, the exact opposite, perfectly progressive and controllable.

There have been issues with some early pads, maybe a visit to the dealer will resolve it

It's because they are still new....mine were like that very sharp...but as miles increased became much smoother.

Still find mine inconsistent, if you're not very careful they can be very sharp, but I don't feel as if they react the same way every time. 34k miles now and just had major service with brake fluid change. Not that they're poor brakes, just find them very sensitive to pedal pressure.

Last edited:
I don't drive mine very often so when I do I tend to be heavy footed for the first part of the drive and when I forget. Normally drive a Seicento which requires your leg to do the work a bit more

I don't drive mine very often so when I do I tend to be heavy footed for the first part of the drive and when I forget. Normally drive a Seicento which requires your leg to do the work a bit more

If the car stands unused for more than a couple of days the discs will begin to rust. This is not normally a problem but could make the brakes grab a bit for the first few miles.

This may upset some people but with modern braking systems you can forget brake feel / pedal travel / retardation / etc as measured by your foot, foot action and pedal pressure. The "system" has replaced your natural instinctive reactions/operations with a shed load of vehicle speed, differential wheel speeds, slip angle, steering angle, etc. etc.

How the "system" adapts to brake pad texture/retardation/etc I have no idea but I'm pretty sure it does on a real time basis.

We as drivers are being dumbed out of the "driving envelope" and there are good and bad points about where these systems are going.

I fully understand all the associated "brake" characteristics with over 6000 miles of motor sport under my belt on "traditional" simple servo non ABS systems. This is where I learned/experiment with/trialled brake pads and disks. These were the days you had total control over "your braking experience".

Today with modern vehicle braking systems one has little "large" control but there may be combinations of brake pad and disc materials that fool/optimise/enhance the vehicles braking system algorithms.

What sort of mileage on you on? I've got a Cross Plus 4x4 Auto with 24,500 on the clock and the brakes are fine for me. I don't know what discs/pads are in there but I haven't had them changed so I assume they're original fit

Have a look through the caliper at the pads Alan. If its got Mopar on it they're the originals.

First MOT today. Passed. 30,000 miles and front brake pads are 10% worn 10-12mm remaining. Good to go for 300,000 miles then, sorted [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] And yes, they are the original pads and discs

Back