Twin air engine problem

Currently reading:
Twin air engine problem

Mikeyuk66

Hi all,

I have a 2012 TA which is hesitating sometimes as I go through the gears (semi auto). It is fine when the engine is cold and generally fine when up to temperature. If I accelerate reasonably hard (but not going over 4k RPM) a few times in quick succession I get the hesitation. Hard to describe, change up a gear (manually or auto) and even with full accelerator it just holds the RPM and speed for a couple of seconds. Then it either just accelerates as you would expect it to or it acts like I am messing with the throttle and starts to accelerate and then holds back before going again. Drive steady for a few minutes and it drives as normal again until I have done a few hard accelerations again.

It does seem heat related as definitely worse in the summer months, almost non existent in winter. Nothing showing on the diagnostics.

Has anyone experienced this problem and if do did you fix it? Love the car but getting to the point of trading it if I can't resolve. :bang:

Cheers.

Hi all,

I have a 2012 TA which is hesitating sometimes as I go through the gears (semi auto). It is fine when the engine is cold and generally fine when up to temperature. If I accelerate reasonably hard (but not going over 4k RPM) a few times in quick succession I get the hesitation. Hard to describe, change up a gear (manually or auto) and even with full accelerator it just holds the RPM and speed for a couple of seconds. Then it either just accelerates as you would expect it to or it acts like I am messing with the throttle and starts to accelerate and then holds back before going again. Drive steady for a few minutes and it drives as normal again until I have done a few hard accelerations again.

It does seem heat related as definitely worse in the summer months, almost non existent in winter. Nothing showing on the diagnostics.

Has anyone experienced this problem and if do did you fix it? Love the car but getting to the point of trading it if I can't resolve. :bang:

Cheers.

Hi. Get it scanned for codes. Both engine/gearbox..and bodycomputer..

Then do a reset on the systems..

Sounds like a sensor issue to me..

You imply it not like it at all temperatures..

Charlie

I have Multi ECU, nothing stored. It definitely seems temperature related, having logged some data it seems to occur when the engine is in the high 80s temperatures. Also noticed some big overboosts while on WOT, as much as 1 bar above requested.

Its all a bit strange.

Re: Twin air engine problem (RESOLVED)

Sorted. Symptoms were lack of boost when accelerating through the gears at normal engine temperature. After a couple of hard accelerations it felt like the turbo was not boosting. Turned out to be a wastegate which was jamming when temperatures increased. Sourced a second hand exhaust manifold (which contains the wastegate) from ebay and replaced original manifold. Drives smooth now and can accelerate through the gears over and over with no issues. :)

Sorted. Symptoms were lack of boost when accelerating through the gears at normal engine temperature. After a couple of hard accelerations it felt like the turbo was not boosting. Turned out to be a wastegate which was jamming when temperatures increased. Sourced a second hand exhaust manifold (which contains the wastegate) from ebay and replaced original manifold. Drives smooth now and can accelerate through the gears over and over with no issues. :)

Hi Mikey, hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post. I've just purchased a 2012 punto twinair manual and I'm getting similar issues to what your describing. Smooth on a motorway cruise, but when I put my foot down and demand boost I seem to get a big rush of pressure then the turbo backs off, then re boosts up again, like I'm applying then releasing the throttle. I've only owned the car a week so was a bit disappointed to read it could be a waste gate issue! Any thoughts?

Many thanks
Ash

Sounds like the same symptoms. Before you go throwing money at a manifold though there are a couple of things you could check. Get the car scanned for codes, if nothing shows that might lead to a different conclusion then it is an easy job to check wastegate operation by removing the engine cover/ air filter and the upper turbo heatshield. Remove the retaining pin from the turbo actuator arm and gently lift the arm clear of the wastegate. Holding the arm out of the way, move the wastegate back and forth through its range of movement. It will make some metal on metal noise but should not catch or jam. If it does catch or jam, there is a good chance a replacement manifold will resolve the issue. All checks should be done with a cold engine. I paid 62 quid for the manifold and another 38 quid for the manifold gasket which is part of the heatshield behind the turbo. I have now done about 500 miles, including a 240 mile trip to our holiday destination with a fully loaded car and it is driving faultlessly.

I'm going to have a dig about this afternoon and see what I can find. Thanks for your reply, I've only owned the car a week so I might just give it back and tell them to sort it out for me, bit sceptical about it going back to a normal garage rather than fiat due to the way the twinair works but on the other hand I don't really want to be paying for anything if I can avoid it!
Thanks for your reply, glad yours is going well now, what mileage did it fail at? Mines on 23k
Ash

Back