Technical Brake Lights Constantly On

Currently reading:
Technical Brake Lights Constantly On

glam222

Hey all,

Iv'e recently been having problems with the brake lights constantly on,

I'm assuming it's the microswitch because when I lift the pedal towards me the brake lights turn off,

I suspect there are 2 of them and one is okay, but the other is not, because they don't make the click sound together, I am guessing I just need something to push the pedal outwards to me like a rubber, but than again I am not totally sure about anything because I can't seem to get my eyes on it...!

I just can't find where exactly the click comes from upper of the brake pedal, been laying under it for a while - do I have to take the entire plastic part under my wheel as well (requires some screw drivers which I don't have) or is there another way to reach it?

(By the way it's a 2008 Punto Grande 1400 Manual Active)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Brake light switch is about £10 on ebay.Lots of different types so you need to look at it and match it up with photos.
10 seconds to remove and refit- just twist and pull. But fiddly as you have to be upside sown under the steering column.

On older punto's, you can pull the black plunger down with pliers, while pedal is down,then let go of brake pedal,and it's set in correct position,some one may confirm it works on GP's,or worth a try.

Came across this on a Ford Sierra a few years ago. Replaced the switch on the brake pedal and problem solved. It is fiddly while on your back under the dash but it's easy to do.

Hey all,

Iv'e recently been having problems with the brake lights constantly on,

I'm assuming it's the microswitch because when I lift the pedal towards me the brake lights turn off,

I suspect there are 2 of them and one is okay, but the other is not, because they don't make the click sound together, I am guessing I just need something to push the pedal outwards to me like a rubber, but than again I am not totally sure about anything because I can't seem to get my eyes on it...!

I just can't find where exactly the click comes from upper of the brake pedal, been laying under it for a while - do I have to take the entire plastic part under my wheel as well (requires some screw drivers which I don't have) or is there another way to reach it?

(By the way it's a 2008 Punto Grande 1400 Manual Active)

Thanks!

Any news, or maybe a pic, i can't found the location on the switch, any help?

Just follow brake pedal arm. You must lay down on your backs and almost touch gas pedal with your head. I have had problems with mine, so done that... It's a bit uncomfortable position... Maybe switch jumped out from its original position and its hanging somewhere behind on wires... that happened to me, light was const on...

Hey - I went to a mechanic after the problem kept coming back (pulling the switch out no longer does the trick)

He tried replacing the switch - no success -
Apperantly the switch sits on some square plastic housing which is part of the entire pedal box / housing.

And the plastic holder - which holds the switch has been bent on one of it's sides - so i'm told I have to replace the entire pedal box / housing just because of this bent plastic part..

To me it seems strange, is there any other way to fix that without taking apart the entire housing? and if I did take the housing apart in an attempt to fix it maybe trying to bend the plastic back how can I disconnect it? is there any manual for doing that?

Thanks

They (Fiat) used various type of brake light switches over the years and different models/equipment, so it's hard to tell exactly which one you have.
Being an adept of comfort, I can only suggest you to remove the front seat, cover the rails with a good layer of foam and lay down on you back, get a decent lighting and the proper tools at disposal. An helpfull friend would be great to provide what you'd need while upside-down, a little pillow wouldn't be ridiculous ;-)

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Hey - but as I mentioned it doesn't seem to be the switch itself but rather what holds the switch.

Mine is 2008 fiat punto grande 1.4 manual, possibly active but not sure

Back