Technical Real Noob Problem

Currently reading:
Technical Real Noob Problem

Shamz

Hi everyone, totally new to the forum. Loved the advice I found on here in the past.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a 1100 fire 95 and the welch plugs were giving me hassles, the one wedged behind the flywheel to be exact. Anyway, I removed the gearbox, clutch, flywheel and replaced the plug that was leaking. Hoping that all was well I put everything back together again and tried my luck, unfortunately, no luck. The engine does not want to turn over???? I can hear the starter whizzing but other than that there's no life from the engine. Is there something I did wrong? Is there anyone that can assist please:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Thanks
Shamz

the welch plugs were giving me hassles

I had to Google 'welch plugs' .. I'd never heard of them before. In the UK they would be referred to as 'core plugs'.

Can you turn the engine over by hand - either by pulling the belt or with a socket on the crankshaft pulley?

That's just to make sure the engine is free and hasn't been jammed/locked somehow...

If the engine can be turned by hand that's pointing towards a starter motor that isn't meshing/engaging properly. You say that you can hear the starter motor whizzing, which tends to suggest that it's ok ..but not engaging with the teeth on the flywheel.

I don't know if it's possible to fit a flywheel 'back to front'.. but it does sound - from what you say - that the engine isn't turning over? Is the starter motor fitted in the correct position ...?

I have no doubt that others will post a reply .. but, whatever .. keep us updated.

The general rule of thumb is that if it worked before you fixed it, but didn't work afterwards .. it's something that you've done. I tend to think the fault is somewhere around the starter motor

I'm taking her apart this weekend again. Hopefully I put the fly on back to front haha. Seems like the most simple fix right now

I had to Google 'welch plugs' .. I'd never heard of them before. In the UK they would be referred to as 'core plugs'.

Can you turn the engine over by hand - either by pulling the belt or with a socket on the crankshaft pulley?

That's just to make sure the engine is free and hasn't been jammed/locked somehow...

If the engine can be turned by hand that's pointing towards a starter motor that isn't meshing/engaging properly. You say that you can hear the starter motor whizzing, which tends to suggest that it's ok ..but not engaging with the teeth on the flywheel.

I don't know if it's possible to fit a flywheel 'back to front'.. but it does sound - from what you say - that the engine isn't turning over? Is the starter motor fitted in the correct position ...?

I have no doubt that others will post a reply .. but, whatever .. keep us updated.

The general rule of thumb is that if it worked before you fixed it, but didn't work afterwards .. it's something that you've done. I tend to think the fault is somewhere around the starter motor
Thanks so much. I'm probably to blame here haha. But that's the joys of noobdom, knowledge. I'll keep you updated with how the process goes a second time around[emoji23]

Most core plugs these days seem to be like a dish, with sides. Earlier plugs were often like a saucer, no sides, and these were called Welch plugs. I think the inventor may have been called Welch. History, before my time.
I can hear the starter whizzing but other than that there's no life from the engine.
If the starter is turning, and the engine is not, then it is not engaging with the flywheel.
The solenoid on a pre-engaged starter should throw the pinion into mesh with the ring gear, and when the solenoid reaches the end of its travel, it connects the fat battery cable through to the actual motor windings, to spin the engine.
However, the earth path for the solenoid goes through the motor windings. If there is not enough power to move the solenoid, the small current passing through will often turn the motor. It sounds good, but of course there is no load.
Possible causes:
Not enough power in the battery.
Poor connections to the starter, either 12v feed or earth.
Tight/seized solenoid, lever, or pinion.

The earth cable from the battery goes to the body and the gearbox. If this is not refitted, or has a poor connection, or has broken along its length, your symptoms are what would be expected.

1. Ensure battery is fully charged.
2. Check connections and continuity of main battery feed cable to starter.
3. Do the same with the earth cable.

Earth cables seem to deteriorate inside their insulation, sometimes having a break inside, so not obvious, but will not pass large currents. Make sure it will pass big currents and that all connections are clean and secure.
To test, put a jump lead, like used for starting from another battery, between battery negative and engine block.

So that's good news! I just need to charge her? ?

Back