General Punto evo exhaust very strange backbox

Currently reading:
General Punto evo exhaust very strange backbox

This is my wifes car so its does not get extensive rust treatment like my cars, she has to many bumps in it so I cant see it lasting anyway !!!

Never seen an exhaust back box like this before , its unusual in that its a whole one piece from the factory and if you want to replace bits you have to saw them off, but its double skinned ???
And the outer skin has corroded but the inside skin appears to be stainless steel or some other rust proof metal, its a 2010 still on the original exhaust and it passed its mot like this no problem .

Attachments

• gp exhaust.JPG
    gp exhaust.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 84
seems to be a common fault with the grande,evo,punto 2012+ due to position of back box and wheel arch.
My 2012 has exactly the same fault,back box appears to be peeling away in layers of rust but still has a solid inner skin also had a grande 2007 with same issue,It came up on advisory for 3 years in a row at MOT time and had a small pin hole as well that was blowing.

It's always the back box - any marque of car - that takes a hammering and rots away first.

They take the brunt of road water spray - any box further up the system is hot enough to burn off road water. Water produced by the engine (1 gallon of water for every gallon of petrol used) in the combustion process also tends to collect in the back box because it's cooler...

The good news is that from 2040 we'll all have to drive electric cars, which don't have an exhaust ..

hi some info on evo Exhaust mine is 2010 still on original Exhaust its just one full Exhaust ,with no joints ,Some confusion replace its long pipe & back box ,
some say to ,some say it has a middle box also ,maybe you no ? thanks Or will a punto
exhaust fit ?

Back