Technical Stilo Abarth -bent floor under trunk?

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo Abarth -bent floor under trunk?

dox097

Hi guys,
recently I bought Fiat Stilo Abarth 2001. I was buying it kinda in a hurry and I didn't inspect the car properly. So after a few days I went to check the condition of the car. When I pulled up trunk floor matt I noticed that the space for a spare tyre and tools is odlly shaped so I was wondering if you know is this look from the factory or did the previous owner bent trunk floor (because of extra exhaust pipe or sth..)? Picture below.
vrarlg.jpg

Did you read the rules before posting?
https://www.fiatforum.com/rules.html
You must make five (5) posts before allowed by the system to include an active hyperlinked URL in your posts. If you choose to make meaningless posts to circumvent this restriction, your account will be disabled.

There was no need to do that in this case as you could've easily attached your picture, rather than linking to it, and not circumventing the rules. I'm not a complete jerk, and so your account won't be disabled as you do have a genuine question, but please familiarise yourself with the rules before making further posts.

Thanks.

ps. I have asked the Stilo section mod to delete the posts you made in order to bolster your post count.

That's a strange looking wheel well. Mine (a normal old JTD, not an Abarth) looks different - it doesn't have that square sill.

Is the depth of the wheel well (above the square sill) deep enough for a space-saver wheel to sit without leaving a bulge in the carpet? There do seem to be signs that a wheel of some sort was placed on that sill (presumably with a polystyreme spacer and a toolkit inside the normal wheel well.

I'm guessing that wheel well is modified to take a space saver since the Abarth wheel would have been an alloy and have a tyre fitted that was too wide for it all to fit under the mat. .... although Fiat could just have put a space save in the wheel well and not gone to he trouble of fitting that sill. It's a strange one..

Ralf S.

Last edited:
The wheel wells look identical (all models of 3dr, 5dr and SW had the same respective wheel wells...) so it looks like someone modified yours.

What's underneath? If the wheel well looks intact underneath, then the sill probably hides a drugs stash.. :D

If the wheel well have been cut out and this step put in its place, it could be to house (in the past) a bigger silencer or more likely an exhaust pipe to another tail-pipe. That side of the car houses the fuel tank, so if you want to put extra plumbing in the exhaust on that side, you need to make room for it. It looks a neat job though.. :)

Ralf S.

Eklipze3k, I deeply apologize,I'm aware that it was my fault for not reading the rules of the forum. I will try not to make any mistakes like that from now on. :cry:

To continue:
I can fit spare tyre alone without any problems with leveling a mat, but if I include a space saver it becomes a "high" problem. Like you said, if Fiat made space saver able to put in spare tyre then it would be perfect.

Actually the boot floor is the same colour as my car, it looks black because of the reflection when I was shooting pic (it's cameleon colour).

Do you know maybe if is it posible to make boot floor (under spare tyre) look like from a factory and if, how much money would it cost?:confused:

Well that was a warm welcome from the mods there - apologies and welcome to Fiat Forum!

You mentioned the extra exhaust in an earlier post - does your Abarth have twin tail pipes at the rear?

The Abarth has very little by the way of distinguishing features from a 'normal' Stilo and carried the same single tail pipe exhaust design as the rest of the range.

It therefore sounds like you car has been altered to accommodate a twin tailpipe exhaust. I guess the floor has been notched out to make way for an additional exhaust silencer.

Just to add I have a 2004 Abarth 3 door and my boot floor certainly doesn't have that notch cut into the spare wheel well.

Just as a thought - if you put the tools (jack, wheel wrench etc) in a bag at the bottom of the wheel well underneath the tyre would the tyre not sit on top of that sill and not take up too much boot space?

There is just a single tail pipe, but I'm pretty sure there were two of them in the past.

If I would put all the tools under the spare tyre there wouldn't be any problem, floor mat would be completely straight.

I'm kinda in dilemma because I don't know if I should leave boot floor like that or should I make it look like from a factory.:bang:

I somewhere heard that it is very difficult to bend and shape rear boot floor but who knows..

There is just a single tail pipe, but I'm pretty sure there were two of them in the past.

If I would put all the tools under the spare tyre there wouldn't be any problem, floor mat would be completely straight.

I'm kinda in dilemma because I don't know if I should leave boot floor like that or should I make it look like from a factory.:bang:

I somewhere heard that it is very difficult to bend and shape rear boot floor but who knows..

My honest advice, it isn't doing you any harm like it is, nor should it cause you any harm in the future. It looks like it's been well enough done to not give you any rust issues.

If it isn't cause you a problem - don't mess with it.

Back