General Fiat500 lounge Dualogic changing from reverse to drive

Currently reading:
General Fiat500 lounge Dualogic changing from reverse to drive

Lidandted

Hi everyone!
I hope I'm writing in the right place! I've just joined after owning my dream car for 3 weeks! I have been reading all about them on this forum and finally worked out how to do a thread lol jeez right!

I have a couple of questions, just normal running things I guess.
If I pop it into reverse and reverse then I pop it into drive and it will beep at me and say depress break! Well I do that and nothing happens, and then it says it again, but it only stops beeping at me when I pop it into Neutral quickly then back into drive and away we go!
Any tips on this ? In a panic I was reversing and trying to drive off fast and it was in no mood to so I had to do the neutral then drive thing.

Does that make sense? Just making sure I'm doing the right thing by my amazing car ! Many thanks for any help :)
Any tips

It sounds like you are changing into first or reverse without having your foot on the brake.
You should be pressing the brake, selecting the gear, and then releasing the brake.
It does this to prevent damage to the gearbox.

Hi and welcome. You are obviously doing it right if you have been driving the car for 3 weeks. IRC is correct in what to do. It does take a little time to get use to the "auto" box.
Have a read of the car manual and follow the instructions to the letter and understand each section as you move on.

hi There is so much on the forum relative to this issue that it can get confusing. Put dualogic starting problems dated 18.04.2017 in the search at the top of the forum heading, and read it from top to bottom.

It's on the front page of the section again, sadly for dualogic owners, that's where it usually is :rolleyes:.

I usually copy new dualogic problem threads across; I've left this one for now, since it's not clear whether there is actually anything wrong with the OP's car, or if it's just a question of adapting their driving technique to the quirkiness of the dualogic 'box.

What I'd really like to do is to post a link to that thread in every classified ad on the internet for a dualogic Fiat.

There are too many folks who deal with dualogic problems by patching the cars up and selling them on; there are too many prospective purchasers of used dualogics who don't know this.

Last edited:
Thanks! Turns out I only had a manual for a manual not the dual logic so they're sending me a copy :)

In a panic I was reversing and trying to drive off fast and it was in no mood to so I had to do the neutral then drive thing.

I remember this happened to me a number of times when I first got my brand-new 500C. It really didn't like it when I quickly switched from reverse to first, and yep it's pretty anal about keeping your foot on the brake pedal while doing the transition -- this is particularly true when you're doing the transition while on a gradient/slope.

Remember: slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

I've found that as time went on, the Dualogic transmission got less picky about it so I can get away with being a bit sloppier now.

When I stuff up, it simply puts the transmission into Neutral, which emits the ding ding ding sound. Hasn't happened to me for ages though.

This has been discussed in the past so I'm pretty sure there's at least one or two other threads somewhere.

I hope you bought your Dualogic car brand new rather than 2nd hand, because these gearboxes are notorious for having problems later on and there's always folks trying to flog them off to the next unsuspecting victims -- and the cycle goes on and on ;)

Last edited:
Thank you!
I've been making sure I have totally stopped and then drive forward and so far no problems, I guess it's all down to getting use to it after a manual. Like you said it's starting not to be so picky at me too!
I got it brand new so if anything goes wrong it's down to me lo had soo many problems buying a second hand car last time with the previous owner not doing services and looking after it ! Hopefully many years of fun travels in this one ! Thanks for your reply

I used to have a 2010 500 Dualogic that was often caught out in parking manoeuvres - a series of dings and messages being the result - I now have a 2008 model and it never seems to be confused at all. One item I can think of that might be the difference - the brake light switch should be adjusted so that the lightest pressure puts the brake lights on - this will also signal the Dualogic quicker and therefore allow neat and tidy manoeuvring.

To adjust the switch, for RHD I think you find it in the passenger's footwell area (left side), twist it to release from the bracket and use a pair of pliers to pull the plunger fully out - it has a series of steps, like a ratchet. Reinstall the switch and upon releasing the brake pedal, the switch will automatically adjust itself. In some circumstances, the switch can be wrongly-adjusted if a foot is caught under the pedal when exiting the car, etc. EDIT: oops, I see this is a new car we're talking about, so I guess it's something to ask to be checked at the first service :)

44Sunsets is absolutely correct as well; I'm also a happy Dualogic driver, having enjoyed the '08 model for at least three years now. My partner also drives the car so it gets lots of use, and we've found that the clutch action seems to really benefit from this. Leave it sitting for a few weeks and it is noticeably less smooth, but soon settles down again. 113,000km on ours now.

-Alex

Last edited:
Back