Technical Remove lower radiator hose?

Currently reading:
Technical Remove lower radiator hose?

kierongavan

Hello all. I am trying to change the radiator hoses. The lower radiator hose has a strange plastic elbow which I'm unsure how to handle. Do I just slide out the metal spring clip and wriggle the plastic elbow and hose free? It dosn't seem to want to move and I don't want to break the connection to the radiator.

Many thanks.

Hello all. I am trying to change the radiator hoses. The lower radiator hose has a strange plastic elbow which I'm unsure how to handle. Do I just slide out the metal spring clip and wriggle the plastic elbow and hose free? It dosn't seem to want to move and I don't want to break the connection to the radiator.

Many thanks.

If you're going to throw the old ones away, the safest way is probably to cut them off. otherwise a silicone spray may help free a sticking hose connection.

Totally remove the metal "u" clip that you will need to keep, from undeneath use two hands and turn/wiggle and it will come off, there's a rubber sealing ring inside that makes it hard to crack off.
When refitting make sure it's pushed on far enough then the u clip just locks it back in place, whilst underneath check the metal pipe the large hose connects to, it maybe very rusty particularly at the end where it connects to the heater hose on the right, ours looked ok with a few rust bubbles but was easy to put a screwdriver through it!
When refilling you will need to open the heater hose bleed screw be EXTREMELY careful and gentle with it and don't try to move when hot!

Last edited:

Many thanks.
If there is a hose clamp holding on a flexible hose near the plastic elbow , undo or cut off the hose clip remove flexible hose from elbow . When done replace with a normal hose"jubilee" clamp. Leave the elbow in place don't disturb it, no chance of damaging raditior that way.
My opinion is the push on type fittings are just to make assembly at factory quicker and are a pain thereafter.

Thanks for the advice. Fiat certainly seem to use some odd assembly methods! Love the hose clamps too .....

Once you get the knack for the push on fitting its quite easy and straightforward, and can make draining the system far easier.
On that note, once drained, totally fill the system to the top with water(just gently pushing on the bottom hose to fill) then pull it fully off allowing the system to suddenly drain, you won't believe the crap that pours out, repeat this process several times to flush the system to a degree.

These things are a nightmare to get off. I have one at the moment. I cut them off with a saw when I put new rads in and then put them in a bench vice. They are really difficult. On occasions I have lost my rag and just bought a new one.

If you are only changing the lower hose you don't need to change the elbow though.

Last edited:
It's not just fiat that use these type of hard plastic quick connects. Good advice is leave them alone wherever possible and replace fixed hose clamps with screw type.

Back