Technical Will Fiat MPV or Van suspension fit a Coupe?

Currently reading:
Technical Will Fiat MPV or Van suspension fit a Coupe?

anotherdeadhero

Hi di hi all

Newbie here, intro here:
http:// www. fiatforum. com/newbie-central/451992-waves.html#post4278604
[I can't post links yet]

I'm the proud owner of this bad boy:
18517977_10155469475014274_4959202710426593917_o.jpg

[hope you can all see that]
It is a Fiat Coupe, 1997 ish? the 20v 2l 5-pot normally aspirated number.

Which I bought as a cheap car for autocrossing. It was particularly attractive to me, because I want to pinch the viscodrive and driveshafts out of it when I kill it to put in my Lancia Beta Volumex.

Weird question: does anyone know if any model of Fiat MPV or van suspension fit a Coupe?

While I've come to love the Coupe, it isn't a natural autocrossing car: it has ground clearance issues and power-to-weight issues compared to the Pumas and Corsas I'm up against.

Under the regs for class A2, I can get a fiberglass bonnet, which saves me 20kg and I can fit plastic windows. So far so good.
Regs here: https:// www. msauk. org/assets/217-232specificregulationsforautocrossandrallycrossn-1.pdf
[I can't post links yet]

Next up is more ground clearance. Obviously, Fiat did not make a diesel version, that is the usual way to do this on the cheap. So I was wondering if anyone knew or suspects that any model of Fiat MPV or van suspension would fit a Coupe? I can then investigate further.

The regs for class A state:
"Suspension operation must be as manufacturer’s specification"

This means it must use the same pick-up points, and must remain nonadjustable.

So while I can get some Bilsteins to do the job, it would be easier and cheaper for me I can just fit Doblo suspension, for example.

I'm thinking Doblo / Idea / Multipla / Ulysie / Ducato / Fiorino / Scudo ?

Also, I think the viscodrive needs sorting out, so I need to investigate how to service that.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Also, I think the viscodrive needs sorting out, so I need to investigate how to service that.

Ah OK, so only the turbo models had a viscodrive. That's be why I'm getting one wheel spinning up. I've got one for the Beta, but I need shafts to match.

Hi.
Odd chioce.. the coops are supposedly now worth saving..appreciating in value.

I too know somebody who gave 90 quid for a roadworthy one

OK..historically its based on the TIPO/146
STRUCTURE.

ALFA have taken til 2017 to make an SUV.
SO WE can discount the 146.. ;)

However I Have the dubious honour of being custodian of a diesel marea estate.

Sourcing suspension bits had me going down the HERITAGE/ ' parts bin' route..

The MULTIPLA is VERY closely related..and a trawl of the parts fische websites may well save some time grief..

IDEA: there were 4x4 options/ variants of the tempra/ dedra line IIRC.

Maybe too rare to be any good though..

Charlie

Last edited:
Top tips, thanks Charlie. I wondered if the Multipla (given that it is the same kind of era) might be a good place to start.

It wasn't so much a 'choice', than a mate was selling it for £175 already stripped out, new clutch, bucket seat and harnesses ready to go. It was never ever going to get through an MOT ever again. But having a few cheap scrappers about means I could re-shell easily if I need to.

It is also a development of the Lampredi twin-cam that I have in the Beta, so it feels like home. I also have a Fulvia and I had an Alfa 147 for a few years. I like Italian cars.

Just outside Bristol, yes. A meet would be good if I'm free (I do a lot of motorsport of one kind or another most weekends) I doubt I'd bring the Coupe along as it would require trailering it around. If ever I finish restoring the Beta and/or get round to rebuilding the V4 in the Fulvia (sigh), I'll bring one of those. I've just got married so that has eaten the budget for most things of late!

Last edited:
Back