Technical Radio instalation

Currently reading:
Technical Radio instalation

Albert Alfvag

Hey guys. I have a question for anyone knowledgable in the field of electrics.

I bought a radio and speakers to my 1988 panda 4x4. The car has never had a radio in it before to my knowledge so I guess the original owner didn't buy that piece of kit.

But the car has wiring for it, one black cable for ground and one red/green for power. Now to the question.

The wiring harnes that came with the new radio has a yellow wire which is for constant power (so it doesn't loose it's memory with selected radiostations and such) and a red one for ignition power. But the car only has one power cord like I said.

So the question really is: should I wire both the yellow and the red wire to the one power wire in the car, or only the red?

Thanks. :)

Hey guys. I have a question for anyone knowledgable in the field of electrics.

I bought a radio and speakers to my 1988 panda 4x4. The car has never had a radio in it before to my knowledge so I guess the original owner didn't buy that piece of kit.

But the car has wiring for it, one black cable for ground and one red/green for power. Now to the question.

The wiring harnes that came with the new radio has a yellow wire which is for constant power (so it doesn't loose it's memory with selected radiostations and such) and a red one for ignition power. But the car only has one power cord like I said.

So the question really is: should I wire both the yellow and the red wire to the one power wire in the car, or only the red?

Thanks. :)

I wired mine in recently and wired in the yellow and red into the power wire, I crimpted them both into a bullet connector (I only used these as this is what the old headunit used). I have been told you can run a cable for the ignition on/off from either the back of the ignition barrel or from the rear brake lights.

Here's a pic of the old wiring.
IMG_1858.JPG

I wired mine in recently and wired in the yellow and red into the power wire, I crimpted them both into a bullet connector (I only used these as this is what the old headunit used). I have been told you can run a cable for the ignition on/off from either the back of the ignition barrel or from the rear brake lights.

View attachment 182032

I did exactly the same before fitting my DAB radio. I phoned the manufacturer to check (I didn't want to b*gger the radio either). :)

View attachment 182032

Thanks. I wired it exactly like this, but now the radio is always on, even when the car is completely turned off, and that isn't right. Any suggestions?

Thanks. I wired it exactly like this, but now the radio is always on, even when the car is completely turned off, and that isn't right. Any suggestions?

Well wired up like this that is normal. You would need to turn off the headunit yourself. If you want it to go on/off with the ignition you will need to tap an ignition live from elsewhere such as the rear brake lights.

Well wired up like this that is normal. You would need to turn off the headunit yourself. If you want it to go on/off with the ignition you will need to tap an ignition live from elsewhere such as the rear brake lights.

Ok after the initial setup of the car stereo itself, I was allowed to switch the stereo off. Before, when I connected the battery the first time and tried to turn the stereo off, it just switched between normal operation and some demo-mode. but now I can manually turn the stereo off with the power button.

Just to make sure. This won't drain the battery if the car stereo is turned off manualy? Because I CAN start and use the stereo at any time even without the keys in the ignition.

Thanks for the help, and sorry if I'm a bit daft! ;)

Ok after the initial setup of the car stereo itself, I was allowed to switch the stereo off. Before, when I connected the battery the first time and tried to turn the stereo off, it just switched between normal operation and some demo-mode. but now I can manually turn the stereo off with the power button.

Just to make sure. This won't drain the battery if the car stereo is turned off manualy? Because I CAN start and use the stereo at any time even without the keys in the ignition.

Thanks for the help, and sorry if I'm a bit daft! ;)

I can't guarantee it won't drain your battery but from memory it will draw some power as it has to in order to save settings etc. What I do is turn the stereo off and pop the face off to ensure it is properly off.

Yep if you connect your permanent wire to the clock feed to keep on the memory
The clock will use far more power than the radio most have a small battery built in too to keep a memory on the radio for a day or so

Last edited:
i took a live from the feed to the head light switch for an ignition live.. i dropped a 1 amp fuse inline as its only a signal wire. now my radio turns on and off with the cars ignition and i never have the issue of leaving the radio on pause or mute over night and returning to a flat battery...

theres other ignition lives too, the one that goes to the brake light switch is an ignition live that you could tap into.

Alright thanks for the help guys. For the moment I'm quite content with switching the radio on and off manually. But if I ever get sick of it I at least know where I can tap the ignition power from. :)

Sound perfectly normal for the setup in a Classic Panda. I always remove the facia off of my head unit when parked which stops any battery drain ;)

Back