Technical Another Dashcam Question

Currently reading:
Technical Another Dashcam Question

Nadge

Hi Guys - newbie here !

While installing a Nextbase dashcam into my wifes' Panda 2013 4x4 today, I encountered a bit of a problem.

I used a Nextbase fusebox tap to avoid using the 12v accessory socket on the console.

According to Fiats' owners manual, fuses 49, 50 and 51, should be spare - well they're not. And herein lies my problem - obviously, the fuse layout/usage of the cabin fusebox is different on the 4x4, but does anybody know which of the fuses IS a spare ?

I've hardwired two cameras into two of our (three) Pandas and have used F51 on both as it's a switched live (powered only with the ignition on).

Both fuse boxes appeared the same, 4x4 TA and 1.2 Lounge.

There was a fuse already in F51 so I used a piggyback fuse tap.
They are fitted with two fuse holders, one for original equipment running through that particular fuse socket and one for the new item hanging off.

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii/435559-dash-cams.html

The earth I picked up off the lower bolt holding the fuse box to the car.

I wired them in via an extra power socket in the glove box rather than direct to the fuse box, then used the original cable from the camera with the ciggie plug on it, as some none original cables aren't shielded too well and can give a electronic "Buzz" on the footage, something that the Mobi camera I sometimes run from the factory power socket suffers from., though it's not really a dash cam, more a tiny action cam.

It also gives me and extra power in the glove box, I can use a socket splitter in it to charge phones out of sight.

Dash cams are well worth the small hassle of fitting.
We save 10% on insurance on each car, plus it should help if this every happens
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/mi...surance-claim-after-motorist-jumps-red-light/

This junction isn't too far from me and the actions of both cars jumping the lights (Audi was coming too!) isn't a one off!

It would appear that I am officially in the "Dohh" club ! There is indeed a socket in the tap fitting for the original fuse (which I hadn't noticed) - note to self, next time, wear your damned specs !!

BTW. F51 powers the ELD (electronic diff lock) system on the 4x4

You'd never guess I have an HNC and a degree in Electronic Engineering would you ? :eek:

Last edited:
It would appear that I am officially in the "Dohh" club ! There is indeed a socket in the tap fitting for the original fuse (which I hadn't noticed) - note to self, next time, wear your damned specs !!

BTW. F51 powers the ELD (electronic diff lock) system on the 4x4

You'd never guess I have an HNC and a degree in Electronic Engineering would you ? :eek:

Don't let it get you down, I've an HNC & C&G TV technicians certificate, theory has gone out the window!!!!
I dumped the dash cam and am using two old android smartphones with dash cam software front and back, they work a treat and only record with the Engine running.

Back