Technical Best mods for 500/1.4

Currently reading:
Technical Best mods for 500/1.4

altonwoods

57 Lounge 500
I was considering upgrading my O2 sensors and was curious about any other relatively simple stuff I could do to improve overall performance. I've already installed an Ingen intake I really like but that's all. :slayer: LOVE MY500!!! Any ideas? '16 Lounge

If you've got the 57 Lounge edition ditching those wheels for lighter ones would be the first thing to do. They might look cool, but you'd get the same effect and a much greater performance/ economy / even handling on a set of steelies with chrome hub caps and trim rings.

Smaller/ lighter wheels & tyres are overall the best thing I've done, in time I'll get proper light weight forged alloys, but mine's a Sport so it doesn't look right on excessively 'retro' wheels. On a Pop or Lounge I'd stick with chrome hub caps.

If it's a manual look at the TWM shifter, second best mod I've done.

Thanks UFI! That's a great suggestion, one that I'm sure I'll act on at some point perhaps when I wear some of the rubber off these new tires!

The perceived benefit of changing out my O2 sensors has to do with somehow helping the motor operate more efficiently. I'm no mechanic but I was wondering if the sensors detect unburned fuel in the exhaust and relay that info to the brain that might adjust it somehow? I've seen a few upper/lower sensors on part sites and just assumed based on their high cost that they must be superior in some way!?!

Can't see how you'd get any performance gain from changing a lambda sensor unless the existing one is faulty. A simple emissions test will quickly identify if the sensor is working properly (it's part of the annual test in the UK); if the readings are within limits, then there's nothing to be gained in performance or economy by changing it. If it's out of limits, it'll likely trigger the EML light anyhow.

Also you won't get any gain in performance from modifying the intake except when you're operating at full throttle.

What may help (not so much with performance but with improving cold starting and running) is to fit iridium spark plugs - the original Fiat fit parts are rubbish. Probably the easiest, cheapest and most worthwhile mechanical mod you can make.

Last edited:
Can't see how you'd get any performance gain from changing a lambda sensor unless the existing one is faulty. A simple emissions test will quickly identify if the sensor is working properly (it's part of the annual test in the UK); if the readings are within limits, then there's nothing to be gained in performance or economy by changing it. If it's out of limits, it'll likely trigger the EML light anyhow.

Also you won't get any gain in performance from modifying the intake except when you're operating at full throttle.

What may help (not so much with performance but with improving cold starting and running) is to fit iridium spark plugs - the original Fiat fit parts are rubbish. Probably the easiest, cheapest and most worthwhile mechanical mod you can make.

That's what happened with mine. It had jerky acceleration which was worse when the engine was cold. After taking advice on here I changed the top sensor for a used one as well as the plugs and the car now runs like new. I had a hint it might have been as the o2 measurement on the mot emissions test was right at the limit.

+1 on the smaller lighter wheels - if of course you don't love the ones you have. Also it opens up a whole world of choices potentially.

I went the other way, got heavier, considerably wider wheels, and you really do notice a difference, but I won't be parting with them any time soon! Street cred and all that.

Last edited:
Back