Tuning K&n 33-2931 air filter

Currently reading:
Tuning K&n 33-2931 air filter

Hi all,

Am thinking of installing a K&N replacement air filter (part 33-2931 -http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mProduct.aspx?prod=33-2931) for my 2014 fiat punto (1.4L, 8V).

For those who may have this installed, does it make a noticeable difference to performance & fuel economy? Also will the filter affect vehicle warranty in any way?

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

Am thinking of installing a K&N replacement air filter (part 33-2931 -http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mProduct.aspx?prod=33-2931) for my 2014 fiat punto (1.4L, 8V).

For those who may have this installed, does it make a noticeable difference to performance & fuel economy? Also will the filter affect vehicle warranty in any way?

Thanks in advance

It will in theory affect your warranty. Most manufacturers warranties have the condition that the vehicle is maintained using original, or at least equal quality and specification parts. The K&N filter is a modification and clearly is not OEM specification so could be used (reasonably IMHO) as grounds to refuse an engine related claim, and possibly any type of claim.
Oh, and as it's a modification, don't forget to tell our insurance company.

Robert G8RPI

Last edited:
I don't have one but I've heard that they give a slightly louder induction noise. Also I've seen complaints of them producing a smell similar to burnt oil as they're coated in a thin layer of oil to better filter the air being sucked through.

You could always go for a BMC air filter as Abarth use these in their vehicles. At least you know it's been tried and tested.

I've installed mine today, makes the engine noise a bit beefier, improves acceleration slightly and gives you about 3hp.

No need to tell your insurance about it

Any evidence for the 3HP?
Any reference for not needing to tell your insurance?

When a claim is refused saying "some bloke on a forum said I didn't have to tell you" won't help much.

Robert G8RPI.

I'm not one of these idiots who tell my insurance company every In and out of what I do to my car

Why ring them up and tell them about my customised badges, my new headlights, air filter, wind deflectors, alloy wheels.. The list goes on. You're just increasing your premium un-necessaryily

Gentlemen, I've been working on cars both professionally & for pleasure for over 45 years & the so called sports filter doesn't usually bother both the insurance or warranty on a car. I've never come across this. If there was a way on how certain companies could wriggle out of paying up in circumstances that saved them big bucks, well it's a bit of a grey area these days.

The very reason that these filters do not add any extra ponies or power to a vehicle doesn't usually bother the authorities. Anyone saying different, well the placebo affect still has a hold on some . Telling your insurance company 9 times out of 10 they don't add anything extra. The louder induction noise can play tricks, especially for those who are a few years younger than I....:)

Just to add, ironically, it's a mixture of trivial things added to a car by some of the younger team that alert the likes of insurance companies who they deem a bad driver that is more likely to have an accident due to speeding/carelessness. Don't shoot the messenger by the way, I'm only stating facts. It never ceases to amaze me what some post up on social media sites such as forums the likes of this. Even the likes of go faster stripes & badges that obviously have no effect on the mph of a vehicle alert companies who police most car forums & they do.

As I've said I'm only relaying what's happening in the big bad world, & how insurance companies think, it's the old cynic in me that pays dividends. As an oldy my premiums are low, lets just say I'm a careful driver....:)

I've had pretty drastic modifications to a car without any increase in premiums, but conversley I've had warranty claims questioned due to an error (obviously typo) in service records and if an air horn was original fit (I had to find a sales brochure to prove it was at the cars trim level). There was a post on here earlier in the year where an insurance assesor stated that KN filters were something they looked for as an easily detectable modification. The trouble is if you don't tell your insurance company the only way you will find out for certain is hen you have a claim. It's then too late to cahnge anything. While the insurers have to pay for 3rd party claims, they will come after you for the money. Even if you just wreck your own car could be paying finance on a written off car.

Robert G8RPI.

Changed days on the modding scene now. Back in my day it was all down to how many spotlights :D The guys fiddling with the carburetors & the oily bits were deemed anoraks. Of course most young lads couldn't afford a car. Like others at the time, if you were lucky enough to have wheels, it was freedom, transport from A to B...Sorry, bit of all our yesterdays there.

Money seems to be no object these days. As an old cynic, it never ceases to amaze me on how much cash is thrown at a cars modding bits & pieces, & scrimp/save on the parts that matter the most, servicing & things that need replacing. Sorry off topic. Just my thoughts.

Echo all of the points above.
Also the oils used on the filters can also get all the sensors oily, air flow, maf etc covered in oil so the ecu can't work as efficiently as it should.
So many people use them dry and wash more often.
If used in a normal air box set up you may see a slight increase in your MPG as slightly more can get through as will a little extra noise but no real BHP.

I have this K&N air filter fitted as I used them years ago albeit on more powerful cars.
It's not likely that you would notice any increase in bhp on a 1.4 8v although there is an increase in induction noise under acceleration but in a fun way, it's not annoying and there is a marginal improvement in throttle response.

They come pre-oiled when new and this hasn't produced any smell or ill effects. I suspect some people over oil them after cleaning which could cause issues.

There are two types of K&N filters.
1. Replacement panel filter for the original airbox.
2. An induction kit which uses additional tubing to position a cannister filter closer to colder air.

I doubt if option 2 would be worth the cost.

I wouldn't say that you save money by using these filters over paper types as you still have to buy filter cleaner and oil which are more expensive than a standard paper filter.

You pay your money and make your choice!

Back