Technical centrifugal oil filter

Currently reading:
Technical centrifugal oil filter

El cargador

To all you experienced people in 500's can anyone explain how the centrifugal oil filter works.does it need maintenance? as i have the engine out would it be wise to fiddle with it?

Dead easy. Basically as the oil comes through the dirt and debris cling to the slinger and dont enter the engine. If you undo all the bolts holding it on, it's just a case of cleaning it out. If it hasn't been done in a while it will probably be a thick sludge. There should be an o-ring around the edge

Before you take the oil-filter cover off, make a note of its position---it has one of the timing-marks on it. If the filter has not been off for a long time the muck in it will be quite hard (and look a bit like the aluminium casing)--it will need scraping out, possibly with a small screwdriver, or similar. My recommendation is that it is done every 12,000 miles, or bi-annually if your mileage is low.
thumb.gif
smile.gif

Good to have a catch tray underneath as a bit of oil will come out when you remove it.

When you have it off, check the o-ring, too as it may need replacing.

On the top of page 2 of the Forum you will a thread entitled 'Fiat 500 Newbee' by 'Velma 1976'----go onto page 2 of that thread, I described how to remove/clean and refit the filter cover. As others have mentioned, don't forget to fit a new 'O' ring seal.
thumb.gif
smile.gif

I bought a donor 126 a few years ago and I don't think the oil slinger/filter had been cleaned for a while. There was quite a build up of crud around the periphery of the filter but the central part was quite clean, so these centrifugal filters do work.
Chris

Attachments

• Oil filter buildup.jpg
    Oil filter buildup.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 238
  • Oil filter housing gunk.jpg
    Oil filter housing gunk.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 252
Back