What have I done now?

Currently reading:
What have I done now?

I have a desk top PC running the latest version of Windows and has McAfee live safe installed. I use Chrome to use the internet.
Yesterday I was doing some research for work(looking for a type of textile design) and used Google image search.
Various images came up that matched what I was looking for (coffee check duvet covers to be precise) so I saved a couple of them and then clicked on another one which rather than being retailer's or manufacturer's sites seemed to be somebody's blog or similar. Before I had chance to move off it as it wasn't what I was looking for, a video popped up of a woman in pink undies and it said something like "Barbie Cam" or thereabouts. Within about 2 seconds I clicked the x to get off it (honestly I did!) and that was that.
I was trying to figure out what I had done to go from what I was doing to a webcam site, but I couldn't. Anyway, a minute or two after that the computer froze for the first time I can remember. It is only about 2 months old. Also I have noticed a slight delay in my usual websites opening, which I don't think I have imagined.
I ran a scan on McAfee which said all was well, but I am wondering whether I should install something like Malware bytes which I have on my tablet and do that as well, or will too many "security" type programs slow things down?
Any suggestions or am I a bit paranoid?

I'm not a computer expert, but over the years have always refused to be beaten by them.

It would appear that the link you found has dropped some malware onto your system. I would have hoped that McAfee would find this, but I gave up on McAfee many years ago due to poor service. I use BitDefender on two machines and Kaspersky on another. (Kaspersky is free for Barclays on-line customers)

I've not heard of 'Malware bytes', but something like that, if trustworthy might be a good idea to run and clean the system. As you've heard, this type of program can tend to slow the system down, and best advice is never to have two similar programs running at the same time, as they may see each other as a threat. Clearing all cookies may also be a good idea, but this loses all those useful 'remember me' logins etc. So make sure you know them all.

Do you know how to look at 'Task Manager' to identify all the processes running?
On XP, Vista and Win7, a right-click on the taskbar will bring up a menu with an option to open task manager. In this will be a list off all the processes running. Do not stop or delete any of them. Try to identify what they belong to, Google the process name, and see if you can identify anything that should not be there. Then address it. Do this after a fresh boot, with nothing running except Chrome for the Google search.

Have a look also under add/remove programmes, sometimes you will find a dodgy installation programme in there. These things are an absolute nightmare.

Might be a good idea to install Adblock if not already done. This might not block everything 100% but it sure as hell cuts a lot.

You could try a system restore if you have a recent enough one, again this might not pick it up but all worth a shot.

Back