Technical Accuracy of MPG readout

Currently reading:
Technical Accuracy of MPG readout

Hi Mulipla Forumists.

How accurate do you consider the MPG readout of your Multi?

Has anyone out there been exacting enough to compare the readout with a reasonably scientific series of brim-2-brim checks?

I have just fitted the roofbars & roofboot prior to the holiday trip. Driving around the M25 a couple of times (rush hour, but fairly easy traffic) I'm reading 50.2 mpg (JTD 110).

I don't expect such good figures when we hitch up & tow.

What are your experiences?

Hi all,

Every week my MPG is approx 6 mpg under. Last week for example the computer had 42 mpg, and I actually calculated I was getting 51 mpg, (my son has made a program to calculate this), so the computer on the Multi is a bit under, maybe it is set to the US gallon rather than imperial.

shepherd

disgusted said:
Hi Mulipla Forumists.

How accurate do you consider the MPG readout of your Multi?

Has anyone out there been exacting enough to compare the readout with a reasonably scientific series of brim-2-brim checks?

I have just fitted the roofbars & roofboot prior to the holiday trip. Driving around the M25 a couple of times (rush hour, but fairly easy traffic) I'm reading 50.2 mpg (JTD 110).

I don't expect such good figures when we hitch up & tow.

What are your experiences?

Hi...this is an often asked question on the multipla forum.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/multiplaowners/

My multi regularly says 34/35 mpg and always brim to brim turns out to be 40/42!
Towing my folding camper (900kgs) it regularly returns 38mpg of diesel.
Petrol ones are much, much less!

Moriarty...

Hi again,

I didn't realise the US gallon was 20% smaller. This is interesting, because in the last two weeks my Multi has been 20% under the imperial gallon with my brim to brim checks. I just filled my tank up tonight after shopping and the computer says 38mpg but my brim to brim check says 46mpg, that is a 20% difference. Also Moriarty the mundane is 20% out, as he said "My multi regularly says 34/35 mpg and always brim to brim turns out to be 40/42!"

shepherd

My kitchen jug says that a US pint is 16 Fluid Oz. UK being 20.

So I hope that my 20% is correct.

Aren't Imperial measures a hoot?

I had to quote a heat output in BTU a couple of years ago for a quote, I had no idea how to do this so I called my Pa who is an engineer (rtd).

He told me that 1 BTU was the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of one pound of water (!?) by 1 degree farenheit.

How mad is that?

I am starting a personal crusade to start to quote consumption figures in litres per 100km like the rest of Europe. I'll try to find a comparison table...

On our 2001 JTD we regularly clock 45mpg. We reset for each tank load. Not done a brim to brim comparison. Andy vRS - do you have a heavy right foot? We tend not to hammer our Multi, its not really built to do that kind of thing - or is it??

Easy lift off the throttle pedal, all turbo diesels are very dependent on even the minutest difference in throttle position, a few degrees makes a huge difference in mpg.

My wife drives it most of the time, and it potters most of the time - although it finds itself on our local duel carrigeway a lot and the gearing isn't exactly perfect for motoorway speeds.

I am still impressed though, as i used to have an M3 which did around 25 mpg and my wife had a Volvo T5 which returned around 20 mpg, so the Multi is perfect. Also the mileage is at 3000 ? We go to France tomorrow on a estimated 1500 mile round trip so I will confirm fuel consumption.

Andy vRS said:
Our Multipla ['05 115 JTD] reads 29-33 mpg but does 34-35 mpg. How are people getting 50 mpg !!!!! :eek:

Do you regularly reset the trip to clear the old mpg data?

I get about 40-42 for commutting, 30 mile round trip with some dual carriageway and some town driving.

I have just come back from Scotland and got the following readings:

On 60.09 litres of fuel I did 616.2 miles with a Multi readout of 39.2 mpg.

Doing the maths that gives me an imperial mpg reading of 46.6 and a US one of 38.8.

Not sure if the mpg readout is across the whole journey or an "at the time" figure though.

Driving up to Scotland on the A74M it was giveing me a readout of around 50mpg, but that soon dropped once I hit the singletrack roads with all the hills and bends.

Right then Multipeeps. I just got back from France. A bit weird as i set the trip as we were sat on the drive at home, drove all the way to Brittany, did some sight seeing and drove home and did 1500.9 miles <weird. I predicted i would do approx 1500 miles, so i am impressed. Anyway, i did all the driving [bar 150 that the wife did] and cruising at around 80 mph with 3 adults, 2 kids and a boot rammed with luggage and a/c on the on board computor read 33 mpg, but on the way back i did 90mph most of the way and got it to 30mpg on the computor, and used exactly 3 full tanks running each dry [when it no longer predicts a range] so around 60 litres / fill.

Last tankfull I achieved 47.79 mpg - this included the trip back from Dorset towing a trailer (@ 60mpg) fully laden and a weeks commuting. The dash readout said 41.9!

I'm happy with that!

My current consumption is 41.1 according to the car though I'm being very light with the accelerator this month due to being skint (service due!)

i have a 02 PLATE JTD ELX 115 TRIP COMP IS SHOWING 28.5 MPG WHICH SEEMS RUBBISH ,IVE JUST TRADED IN MY STILO FOR THIS CAR ,I MAY BE PARANOID BUT IS THERE A CHANCE THERE COULD BE A PROBLEM.I AM A BIT POOR BUT 10 POUND OF PETROL SEEMS TO BE GETTIN ME QUITE FAR AT THE MOMENT.MY TRIPS SO FAR HAVE BEEN APPROX 8 MILES TO AND FROM WORK,APART FROM THIS I LIKE MY MULTI.PS ALTHOUGH I AM TYPING I N CAPS I A NOT SHOUTIN JUST SIMPLY FORGOT TO TURN IT OFF

andy thrill said:
i have a 02 PLATE JTD ELX 115 TRIP COMP IS SHOWING 28.5 MPG WHICH SEEMS RUBBISH ,IVE JUST TRADED IN MY STILO FOR THIS CAR ,I MAY BE PARANOID BUT IS THERE A CHANCE THERE COULD BE A PROBLEM.I AM A BIT POOR BUT 10 POUND OF PETROL SEEMS TO BE GETTIN ME QUITE FAR AT THE MOMENT.MY TRIPS SO FAR HAVE BEEN APPROX 8 MILES TO AND FROM WORK,APART FROM THIS I LIKE MY MULTI.PS ALTHOUGH I AM TYPING I N CAPS I A NOT SHOUTIN JUST SIMPLY FORGOT TO TURN IT OFF

Your JTD shouldn't use any petrol :p

Back