Technical Comprehensive dashboard failure

Currently reading:
Technical Comprehensive dashboard failure

Dashboard problems:

* the LCD just said "Checking" and stayed there
* the speedometer wasn't working
* the tachometer was stuck on about 1400 revs
* various warning lights were on

After disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and trying again, the dashboard is completely dead. The tachometer is still on about 1400.

The car seems to run perfectly well.

Any ideas?

Its one of the voltage regulators faulty. Sending reset signal constantly. I've fix it myself and you can if you are handy with soldering iron. I'll try to upload some photos later on

TezOFu.jpg

Last edited:
if you don't mind sending your cluster to the Netherlands i can repair it for a very competitive price....
repair + resending on day of arrival in most cases - shipping time 3-4 days.
please send PM for further info...

if you don't mind sending your cluster to the Netherlands i can repair it for a very competitive price....
repair + resending on day of arrival in most cases - shipping time 3-4 days.
please send PM for further info...

So what is the magic fix? I have a spare buggered set of clocks I would not mind learning how to fix them.

So what is the magic fix? I have a spare buggered set of clocks I would not mind learning how to fix them.

Wasn't the post directly before yours useful - maybe you missed it? :rolleyes:
Electrolytic capacitors of the type shown were a common failure on PC main-boards of the 2001-2004 period. The voltage regulator is likely to be available from RS or Farnell. Worth a try?

-Alex

Last edited:
Wasn't the post directly before yours useful - maybe you missed it? :rolleyes:
Electrolytic capacitors of the type shown were a common failure on PC main-boards of the 2001-2004 period. The voltage regulator is likely to be available from RS or Farnell. Worth a try?

-Alex

OH cool, sarcasm. No the post was not. As I said "I have a spare buggers set" as I got my original ones fixed and I don't need to short two hanging out wires every time I disconnect the battery. I would like to know how they are fixed without this palaver. Sorry for not stating the obvious.

I've replaced the capacitor (220uf 35V) and voltage regulator (ordered directly from Texas Instruments as a free sample, p/n TLE4275QKTTRQ1) and cluster came back to life but was suffering random resets. Wires trick cured it for good, 6 weeks and no reset yet. I dont disconnect battery on daily basis so i don't mind 2 wires hidden inside fuse box compartment

Last edited:
I agree, its not a proper fix. I was too lazy to investigate the issue further and has to get the car back on the road asap. Maybe during a Christmas break I'll take the cluster out and diagnose what else causing voltage drops and forces voltage regulator to send reset signal.

I agree, its not a proper fix. I was too lazy to investigate the issue further and has to get the car back on the road asap. Maybe during a Christmas break I'll take the cluster out and diagnose what else causing voltage drops and forces voltage regulator to send reset signal.

And come back and tell us of course. I had a look at the Texas Instalments for the voltage regulator. .97p for the part and 12 quid to post. It only coming up from London. Cheeky gits.

This is who I sent my clocks away to get fixed. £120

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/g8azim?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

He works for Dash-Tec who you can also deal direct with to save some postage if you live close

http://www.mileagecorrectionleeds.com/test/Contact.php

My Stilo has not been used very much in the last few months and when I came to use it the other day the battery was flat. I took the battery off, charged it up and then re-fit the battery to the car. When I turned the key the cluster LCD showed 0:00, did non of the normal checks, all dial's were inoperative and random LED's would come on. I did some searching on the forum and found this post along with some others about instrument cluster failures. Normally I would have attempted to fix the cluster myself but without the car working we would be stuck in for the duration of the holidays. I have my work van but there is not enough seats for all th family. I also did a search on Google and found a video on you tube about Stilo instrument cluster failure that had been uploaded by Dashtec. I rang the mobile number that was listed below the video and spoke to a very polite guy. I asked if he was working today, he said he would be at his unit at about Lunch time and he told me he would repair the cluster whilst I waited. So I took the cluster down and within 30 minutes it was repaired and I was on my way back home. The cluster is back in the car now and working perfectly. The repair cost £120, I'm very happy with the service I received and are now able to take the family out :) I would highly recommend Dashtec to others with instrument cluster problems.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
My Stilo has not been used very much in the last few months and when I came to use it the other day the battery was flat. I took the battery off, charged it up and then re-fit the battery to the car. When I turned the key the cluster LCD showed 0:00, did non of the normal checks, all dial's were inoperative and random LED's would come on. I did some searching on the forum and found this post along with some others about instrument cluster failures. Normally I would have attempted to fix the cluster myself but without the car working we would be stuck in for the duration of the holidays. I have my work van but there is not enough seats for all th family. I also did a search on Google and found a video on you tube about Stilo instrument cluster failure that had been uploaded by Dashtec. I rang the mobile number that was listed below the video and spoke to a very polite guy. I asked if he was working today, he said he would be at his unit at about Lunch time and he told me he would repair the cluster whilst I waited. So I took the cluster down and within 30 minutes it was repaired and I was on my way back home. The cluster is back in the car now and working perfectly. The repair cost £120, I'm very happy with the service I received and are now able to take the family out :) I would highly recommend Dashtec to others with instrument cluster problems.

Good man. I am pleased you got sorted and happy. I used there postal service so I paid the 120 and postage to them and the return postage was in the 120 price. Took under a week what I was happy about as I had a spare set from the scrap yard to use. No doubt it was a half hours work and £1 worth of parts but we now have a lifetime guarantee.

Good man. I am pleased you got sorted and happy. I used there postal service so I paid the 120 and postage to them and the return postage was in the 120 price. Took under a week what I was happy about as I had a spare set from the scrap yard to use. No doubt it was a half hours work and £1 worth of parts but we now have a lifetime guarantee.

Apparently they replace 7 components in all even if there not all faulty. I could probably guess the ones but time was not on my side. I nearly removed the back to check what components they had replaced but that would have damaged the warranty seal :rolleyes:

Dashboard problems:

* the LCD just said "Checking" and stayed there
* the speedometer wasn't working
* the tachometer was stuck on about 1400 revs
* various warning lights were on

After disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and trying again, the dashboard is completely dead. The tachometer is still on about 1400.

The car seems to run perfectly well.

This turned out to be an electronic failure of the instrument panel.

I was able to get it out without breaking too many plastic tabs (I should have the instructions on how to do that a bit more carefully) and send it off to the highly-recommended Gert Koopman - yellowstilo on these forums - in the Netherlands.

95 Euros and three days later I had it back, and it all works beautifully.

Back