Currently reading:
Buying a car private or garage?

Buying a car Private or Garage?

• Private

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Garage

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
In 38 years and 40 plus cars/vans and pick ups I have only bought 4 from garages and 2 of them were brand new. Never bought a bad one allways been happy with wot ive bought so for me dont bother with garages and save some money after all garages cant have all the good ones can they.:)

Out of getting of for well over a hundred vehicles I have only ever bought three cars from dealers or garages.

1/ The big end bearings went on the way home.

2/ Caught fire (but it was a Renault).

3/ Was an MG with newspaper for sills and a fresh MOT.

Never again.

Having said that my X1/9 is the first car I have spent more than £1,000 buying.

All depends, I would never spend big money buying private, the risks are just too great (not much protection under the law like you would do from a garage). But for small money I would buy private. I have bought many cars private in my time but these days I buy new cars every couple of years or so, so im buying from main dealers now.

People talk like all garages rip you off right, left and centre, which isn't quite true. It all comes down to how you go about buying a car, check the history, get the AA or some other to do a vaild check of the car, shop around. If you don't like the salesman then walk away and don't fall for no bull of them. I nearly bought a t-jet in 2008 and I was asking questions etc and he shouted at me. From that moment I stopped the deal and walked away and I will never deal with that guy again.

I buy my cars from wherever has the car i want for the right price - most my fiats have been through private sales, but i have bought cars through main dealers, used car garages and private sellers. In general you buy from a private seller thats it you get no come back unless you have something written down by the seller which is not true (basically never) - but garages and dealers will wriggle like a wriggly thing to not have to fix stuff and on the hole i just fix stuff myself to save the hassle, and just because i don't trust any garages to do repairs properly.

So it really is 6 and 2, 3's to me. Buy the car you want for the best price you can get it for and check it properly before paying for anything.

I buy my cars from wherever has the car i want for the right price

:yeahthat:

I've purchased privately, and from eBay, from Franchised Dealers, and used Dealers.

Comes down to the right car at the right price, with the right deal. I tend to know what I'm looking at when buying a car, so no issue going down the private route personally.

Private every time. Never from auction, they are usually there for a reason and it's usually bad.

Back