Technical White smoke on start

Currently reading:
Technical White smoke on start

XB23

Hi all

When I start my 1.9 stilo from cold I get about 10 secs of white smoke along with a rich diesel smell this goes after starting and when it's smoking the engine feels like it's making a purring noise but no change in rpm

Any thoughts?

i used to get this on my 2.4 when the heater plugs where naff, im sure it unburnt diesel, dont know if this might be the case? i get the smell on my 1.9 now, when it was a bit cold before i changed the glow plugs, i used to warm them a few times before starting? someone might be able to explain why better.

new set of glow plugs wouldnt do any harm

Paul

Thanks mate I'll try that - do glow plugs even activate on temps over 3c?

Are the glow plugs a big job on the stilo?

On my Ulysses they were a pig of a job

Interesting ... Yeah i don't get any fault messages popping up I was hoping maybe dirty injectors?

Yup my glow plug light comes on isn't the stilo common rail?

do you have a pre heat warning light up when started that stays on for a while after the car is running?
If the light goes straight out then its not the glow plugs, the stilo will tell you if there is a problem with the plugs, i know as ive changed them and it is a right pig of a job that can easily end up in tears as the plugs are very thin and fragile.

Put some premium diesel in the car, and an additive to give the injectors a good clean, this may solve the problem and is by far the easiest solution

do you have a pre heat warning light up when started that stays on for a while after the car is running?
If the light goes straight out then its not the glow plugs, the stilo will tell you if there is a problem with the plugs, i know as ive changed them and it is a right pig of a job that can easily end up in tears as the plugs are very thin and fragile.

Put some premium diesel in the car, and an additive to give the injectors a good clean, this may solve the problem and is by far the easiest solution

Well the light comes on and goes off after a while so think that's all good - Hmm I think I will try that might just fix it you never know ;)

Is the best injector cleaner the red fuel additive, reddex is it?

just took the boy to sea cadets, still get my glow plug light on as normal, as said get some Redex, i bought some today £3 in Tesco. Asda once a month has it half price for £2, i have just put £20 of Shell Diesel (wouldnt use nowt else) and a bottle of that redex diesel injector cleaner. i do it once a month. keeps everything clean(y).

good shout Roy:)

glow plug light being on for longer than a few seconds is no good. essentially it should be on for a few seconds as the plugs heat up - this should happen quickly. Then the light will go out, that's when you start the engine.

If your light is on for a minute or so then you have a plug down maybe more, which means you have unburnt diesel coming out the exhaust which is the white smoke.

As far as I know, its a little pig of a job, but not a nightmare or anything, access is fine, the pig part is being careful not to snap them.

I recently did the plugs on my Terrano 4x4, same symptoms as you (white smoke etc), new plugs, a quick belch of white smoke then all good as the system clears.

I use the EcoMax stuff Roy uses, brilliant stuff. I tend to put in 25ml per half a tank, and a bit more on a long journey where I can give the engine some hard revs to clear the crap.
thumb.gif

Just put a good few squirts of two stroke oil in the fuel tank. It will clean both injectors and upper cylinders,

And as far as the glow plugs are concerned, if there is no dash error there is no problem.

At this time of year you can do without glow-plugs on the Stilo. If it fires up you're good to go!

Halfrauds! Oh no there's gotta be somewhere else!;-)

O have read a load of forum's about using a drop of two stroke. I'm not convinced. Ill have a go of that eco stuff though. What mix do you use

don't be afraid of the two stroke. literally a drop wont do any harm. I am a member of the 4x4 club for the Terrano, and its fairly common practice for older diesels.

as for a mix, well its not very mathematical for me, I use 25ml into about 20 litres (of ecomax, not two stroke!)

Back