Tuning 1.8 petrol need more power!!

Currently reading:
Tuning 1.8 petrol need more power!!

dello2002

Hi all,

I have a lovely 1.8 petrol but i feel the engine is a bit weedy, Does anyone know how i can get more power out of it.

To be fair, i thought my 1.8 was pretty powerful for the size of the car certainly pulls it along quite nicely all i've done is a BMC enclosed airfilter/induction kit .... :D

But there is a few things i've seen you can buy off the shelf for the 1.8's i know you can buy a De-cat exhaust manifold for them (bloody expensive).

A long time ago someone (novitech) i believe used to a sell a supercharger for this very engine. I've seen a few punto HGT's with them (same engine i believe)

Power costs money ultimately there is no easy/cheap way around it.

Thanks for the reply.

I will have to look into what you have said, I like the sound of the supercharger!

Maybe mines down on power... not good when a 2.0l 307 110Bhp estate diesel can out drag me! Lol

it should have plenty of power (133bhp new).
Have you given the car a good service, it maybe something as simple as old sparkys that are causing your power loss.
Air filters blocked is another thing to really lower the performance, get a new one or put a good alternative on (ive got k&n in my oil burner and it made a big difference).
Another thing to do is give the throttle body a clean as a build up of carbon etc on the inlet will also restrict the engine power.
I regually run a fuel additive on my car, this keeps thing running well, maybe a bottle of redex could also be in order.

Hi,

Thanks Roy for that advice. I'll check them over. I'm not very Mechanically minded if you don't mind could you send me a link to the type of air filter you have.

Thanks

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
REDEX i love that stuff i genuinely think it makes a massive difference

Back