photo_2_6.JPG

500 (Classic) Daemonoid's classic Fiat 500

Introduction

Couple of pics, and the start of a project...

Big todo list:

1. Oil leak - this project is fairly long term so while I could just replace the engine I really want to be able to run around in it for now.

2. Driver's door lock is stuffed - need a new one.

3. Heating is screwed - need to figure this out as it may also affect the cooling of the engine. Plus these Dutch winters are terrible - I was shivering despite wearing 2 tshirts, a jacket, a coat, a hat and gloves.

4. Electrics - someone in the past has had a bit of a play around with the electrics - there's a number of switches that don't work and a few new ones (some of which also have no apparent function).

5. Windscreen washers - who'd've guessed a classic fiat 500 doesn't have window washers? well, not me until I'm following a truck with a low winter sun and all I can do is spread the muck around the windscreen.

6. Window seals - the aluminium is going on the drivers side.

7. new soft top - there's a small tear that I missed on the test drive :(

8. Disc brakes - the original fiat 500 brakes are quite spongy before I get so much extra power I'd like to be able to control it.

9. New rims and tyres - the existing steel rims are looking a bit tired and I really fancied from white walled tyres.

10. New engine from a Ducati and diff.

11. A starter motor based reverse.

12. Paint job.

13. General interior refit.
Looks a great project mate. Don't they have reverse then? If not, how did you get out of that space!?

Looks a great project mate. Don't they have reverse then? If not, how did you get out of that space!?

Thanks! It currently has a reverse, but once I do the Ducati engine swap it won't - bikes tend not to.

Forgot, one more thing is the bonnet release spring... The fuel tank is under the bonnet, to refuel I had to pull the release cable under the dash at the same time as lifting the bonnet which is quite a stretch with a door in the way, and looks particularly ungainly.

"once I do the Ducati engine swap"....:eek:

Bet that would sound bad AZZ!

Now if I happen to total my R1 (and live) before my motor gets shipped I'll know what to do! Don't see that happening as I promised the state trooper that I would park the R1 for the winter if he did not give me a ticket (which he did not). That still leaves me with the Harley Sportster....though that would be interesting in a 500 as well, in a different way.

Nice 500 for a 'project' though! Looks solid and very manageable.

I hope it will...

A couple of termignoni exhausts (ducati's own carbon fibre) and it'll sound amazing and anywhere between 180-300bhp/tonne depending on the engine I manage to source it'll go like it too!

I'm going with Ducati to keep it all Italian, biggest problem is the amount of space - I really don't want to lose the back seats but I don't mind having an arbath style rear bonnet. The overriding ethic on the build is to keep it as stock looking as possible - I don't want the big wheel arches etc.

Forgot, one more thing is the bonnet release spring... The fuel tank is under the bonnet, to refuel I had to pull the release cable under the dash at the same time as lifting the bonnet which is quite a stretch with a door in the way, and looks particularly ungainly.

Welcome to the forum! (y)

This is actually perfectly normal.... if you get really stuck, roll down the window, right hand on the bonnet release lever and left hand pops the bonnet open! :D

Works for us anyway!

Hi! Strange question, but would it be possible to get a photo of the dashboard? I

Back