Technical Fiat Grande Punto ABS, EBD problem

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Grande Punto ABS, EBD problem

Scottgillo

Hi all

I had a problem with the passenger side door electric window not working from the drivers side switch. (Also the cigarette lighter doesnt work)

Thought it might be a fuse. found a 20amp fuse broken in the engine compartment fuse box. Decided to check the rest of the small ones but needed to take out some of the Megafuses, Midifuses to reach them as they were so close together.

Now though when I start the engine I get "ABS unavailable" and "EBD failure". The car drives as normal though.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

does the window work from the passenger side?

if so either the multiplug is loose on teh back of the switch bank on the drivers door or the switch is dead....

look here at the top couple of photos:

https://www.fiatforum.com/grande-punto-guides/238842-drivers-door-lock-replacement-repair.html

as for removing fuses i find a pair of needle nose pliers work well.... eg:
fa0e1.jpg

if the problem with the abs and ebd only happened after messing in the fuse box double check all the fuses are seated correctly and none have bent legs or have blown/ broken when pulled out simple check is have the ignition on and use a 12v light test pen or multimeter clip the negative lead to the battery -agive since your in the engine bay then touch the other probe to the holes on the top of each fuse:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

(you can see the two tags in this pic one each side of the 10 number)

800px-Car_fuses.jpg

do both if you have power at one side and not the other its blown.....

if all is ok next thing i would try is removing the battery negative terminal for half an hour to reset the cars computers (you did do this before pulling fuses didn't you and had the cars ignition off?) if you pulled a fuse whilst the car was powered up it could have logged the loss of power to the ABS unit and thrown the light on...... see if the battery off resets it if no the code will need to be read by a diagnostic computer to locate the fault....

just remember once finished ensure you replace the lid securely its a pain to do but they are prone to letting water in and rotting the internals if improperly fitted

I'll see about moving this to the Grande punto section where it will get more views as well (y)

Last edited:
The Window works from the passenger side and the driver window works from the drivers side.

Taken the negative off the battery and will see what happens.

Thanks for your help, its appreciated Andy.

Scott

Back