Technical remote keyfob programming

Currently reading:
Technical remote keyfob programming

simon bravo

i have bought a fiat 500 flip key hoping i could program the remote to work my central locking on my 98 hgt... i seem to be having some trouble, and have asked the question on boo and have mixed replys, is there any way i can get it programmed to work my central locking..?

I have the code and I only want to use it for the central locking... And the alarm key switch in the fuse box, I don't have the key to this. Is it possible to join the wires at the back to a switch or just join them together with blade connectors or something

I have the code and I only want to use it for the central locking... And the alarm key switch in the fuse box, I don't have the key to this. Is it possible to join the wires at the back to a switch or just join them together with blade connectors or something

As I said on FB it wont work with the Fiat 500 key.

On the later models the alarm key switch was removed. Not sure how it works but if the alarm key switch is set to on why mess with it? Also wouldn't it be very easy for car criminals to turn the alarm off if all they had to do was join two wires? Maybe??? Hence why it was removed. But I aint got a clue.

To get your alarm rcl working, you need to make sure that your ceiling light receiver is in working order and not knackered. Do the lights flash when you press the small button in?

You need a 4 digit code to a working key to open the alarm system. If not try datarecall (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/datarecall/) he might be able to help at a small price. Or send a private message to reddy4bed on this forum.

Last edited:
As I said on FB it wont work with the Fiat 500 key.

On the later models the alarm key switch was removed. Not sure how it works but if the alarm key switch is set to on why mess with it? Also wouldn't it be very easy for car criminals to turn the alarm off if all they had to do was join two wires? Maybe??? Hence why it was removed. But I aint got a clue.

To get your alarm rcl working, you need to make sure that your ceiling light receiver is in working order and not knackered. Do the lights flash when you press the small button in?

You need a 4 digit code to a working key to open the alarm system. If not try datarecall (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/datarecall/) he might be able to help at a small price. Or send a private message to reddy4bed on this forum.

i dont know wether the alarm switch is on or off thats why i was wondering if i could join the wires at the back or not... yes the reciever is working fine it has a green light that flashes...
then i start to press the 4 digit code in what i have with my red key and it blinks after every number of presses, but then when ive finished the last press it does nothing...

the shop on ebay said that it would work woth my car, and he sells loads of keys... i'll pm reddy4bed and link him to this thread to see if he could shed any light, thanks for all your help tho :worship:

i dont know wether the alarm switch is on or off thats why i was wondering if i could join the wires at the back or not... yes the reciever is working fine it has a green light that flashes...
then i start to press the 4 digit code in what i have with my red key and it blinks after every number of presses, but then when ive finished the last press it does nothing...

the shop on ebay said that it would work woth my car, and he sells loads of keys... i'll pm reddy4bed and link him to this thread to see if he could shed any light, thanks for all your help tho :worship:

After you've put the last digit in you need to press the single button on the blue key. If the light goes out instantly then the code is wrong or not recognised in the system.

If the ebayer seller told ya that then ask them how? I bet he doesn't have a clue, they'll prob say 'take it to Fiat to be reprogrammed'. Or by saying it works in your car, i.e. the key can be cut to fit the ignition and start the car but the rcl/alarm wont. Afterall the car has a single pulse to open and lock the car from a single button. Three buttons means you have one to lock, one to close and one for the boot. Thats three different signals. Wont work.

I'd get a refund on the key and see what alternatives reddy4bed can offer.

After you've put the last digit in you need to press the single button on the blue key. If the light goes out instantly then the code is wrong or not recognised in the system.

If the ebayer seller told ya that then ask them how? I bet he doesn't have a clue, they'll prob say 'take it to Fiat to be reprogrammed'. Or by saying it works in your car, i.e. the key can be cut to fit the ignition and start the car but the rcl/alarm wont. Afterall the car has a single pulse to open and lock the car from a single button. Three buttons means you have one to lock, one to close and one for the boot. Thats three different signals. Wont work.

I'd get a refund on the key and see what alternatives reddy4bed can offer.

ok mate i've pm'd him and am waiting for his reply i hope i can get it working thanks

Is there enough room to strip the 500 fob then wire your original RCL circuit board onto one of the switches? Thats what I was going to try but I have not found a fob cheap enough yet and im not that fussed about doing it at the moment.

Will be interesting to see if ready4bed can make the 500 fob transmit the right signal. If the carrier frequency is different he probably cant help because that will be determined by a component on the circuit board.

it's not looking very likely at the min... the keys working fine i just need to doctor the remote or switch the reciever somehow i dunno... maybe it could be programmed im at a loose end.. also would the alarm switch in the glove box stop me from programming keys..? i dont have the key and am not sure weather its on or off...

Back