Technical 1.2 8v timing marks

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 8v timing marks

Brookes90

Seicento Sporting Abarth
doing my tming belt. The haynes manual and others on here say the crank markings should align with the oil pump housing apex??

wrohng i done this and the timing was off. just check it a screw driver to find TDC through the spark hole and TDC is before the markings, like 9 o clock facing. so im not sure what to do now??

ive heard there is a way to use the flywheel through the opening??

someone HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Yes, there is a rectangular opening on top of the bellhousing. Just under the radiator hose on the right.
You'll need a small mirror to see the markings properly and maybe a light.
There is a line on the flywheel (well 2 of them, 180 degrees apart)
That lines up with the bigger arrow labeled '0' (there are 4 arrows, 3 small and 1 bigger)

still having problems, ive put the marking on the 0 point and aligned them on the samshaft, still rough not right....

does it matter which of the 2 markings you align to 0? seeing as there is 2 every 120 degrees???

can the camshaft markings be wrong?

does this help you ?

Attachments

• timing marks 8v punto.jpg
    timing marks 8v punto.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 13,985
thank you so much.

im turbning the crank with my left hand and looking down through the gap in the bell housing and the marks are bang on aligned. so im not sure where im going wrong, im thinking im getting the cam ones not right,

mine looks different to haynes, i got a little notch about 9 o clock then a sort of curved notch below it, ive been using that one

No it's above the 9 o'clock. More like 10 - 10:30

Slight notch missing in the casing. Use something thin and straight to check they line up right as the angle is difficult to see by eye

ok well this could explain all this mess. ok ill try it tommorow. I cant see a mark there. do you know how the cams are supposed to be facing coz i could use that to help guide me, when i set to the mark from haynes the cams were facing away and diagnal from each other and valves were closed?

You are putting the crank pulley back on in the right place before starting aren't you?

The FIRE will happily run a couple of teeth out at the top, so if it's noticeably lumpy then you're doing something wrong.

yeah i was thinking that it should run ok if the timing was off slightly,

i removed the crank and put it back using its little slot at the back, also the alternator pulley is on the notch hole of the crank. ive just the ignition leads etc, im quite unsure myself, it tends to run but when u give it a rev it goes well deep and lumpy.

sounds like the timing to me, but im still unsure. seeing as there is two markings on the flywheel every 180 degree's, can you use any of these two for your timing mark???

i think to be honest its my camshaft timing that is incorrect. i used haynes for this and it says its suppose to aligned with a notch just before 9 0 clock, so maybe ill try look for another notch.

there is two markings on the flywheel every 180 degree's, can you use any of these two for your timing mark???

I don't understand- the flywheel only has 1 notch, not 2. :confused:

You are aware the crank rotates twice per one revolution of the camshaft?

Just to narrow things down- is it a mk1 or mk2? No real difference in procedure, but the mk2 cam pulley is a little more awkward to judge due to the phonic wheel. Either way, just use a small straight-edge in the 'V' shaped groove on the back of the head and hold it against the pulley.

of course it is easier to see the marks if the engine is not in the car.......
if your cam sprocket is as shown when flywheel notch is at big arrow your valve timing is fine; suggest check all electrical connections are pushed home and consider renewing spark plugs/HT leads

when i do timing belt on my punto i just turned the engine to TDC firing on cylinder 1 i think....it lined up to the timing marks on autodata...then i used a marker to mark position of pully and on engine so correctg realignment thewn i wedghed some pins and chizzels into the pulley gaps to stop rotation of pulleys whilst fitting new one...worked fine first tiem :)

ok ive set all the marks bang on perfect to the notches. turn the engine over by hand. seems all ok. i crank the engine and it wont go, seems worse than ever. im hoping this is a free wheel engine?

I dont think its sheard off, it looks right rom pictures on here and haynes manual. although someone told me it the cam should JUMP into its correct position when turning. it does this but then i need to turn it little bit more to get it to the mark. you think it needs to be in that jump position?

Back