Tuning X19 1500cc engine tuning

Currently reading:
Tuning X19 1500cc engine tuning

excossack

In the workshop we have a x19 1500cc engine that may in the future get bolted up to a gearbox from a 1301cc engine and will end up in a Uno running twin 40idf carbs.

Can the pistons be changed to increase the CC's?
Maybe change the cam to get more bhp/torque?
Or add a turbo and run it on carbs?

Is there a tuning guide for these engines?

cheers

You need to find yourself a copy of the FAZA BIBLE
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Faza-Fiat-Abarth-Lancia-Bible/dp/0929991095"]Faza Bible on Amazon[/ame]
FAZA-AD2_dan.jpg

That will tell you loads about FIAT SOHC tuning

Also this is a great book... if you can find a copy
projex19.jpg

Written by guys in te states called PBS engineering
PBS Info...CLiK2LinK

Also have a read of this webpage
PBS SOHC Tuning Notes

Last edited:
In the workshop we have a x19 1500cc engine that may in the future get bolted up to a gearbox from a 1301cc engine and will end up in a Uno running twin 40idf carbs.

Can the pistons be changed to increase the CC's?
Maybe change the cam to get more bhp/torque?
Or add a turbo and run it on carbs?

Is there a tuning guide for these engines?

cheers

Never managed to get my hands on the Faza book but at $150 I don't really want to, I have a copy of the PBS book and to be honest it isn't worth the hype unless you are going autocrossing (the american version) as much of the book is dedicated to bodywork and suspension modifications to that purpose.

The bores can be enlarged and you can increase the compression ratio. The head is very tunable (far more than most 8v heads are capable of) for the road an easy 130bhp is obtainable (with the right cam, exhaust and fuelling), for the track you could go as far as 190bhp but it would cost you far more than most are willing to pay. Turbo versions will stretch much further, 170bhp is possible with relatively minor upgrades (not necessarily cheap). Full-on works race will push that figure *much* higher but again no-one really wants to pay that much.

The cam profile is a bit tricky - the standard 1500 cam profile is already quite aggressive and while it can be improved upon the driveability starts to suffer. If you want more you need to look at the fuelling as well - either replacement carbs or fuel injection with custom management.

Just adding a turbo doesn't really work unless you have a low compression federal spec engine to start with and even then you would only be able to run low boost. That isn't to say it would be a pointless exercise though but I'm not a fan of mixing turbos and carbs - really you need fuel injection to make it work the way you want. Fortunately Fiat have a single plenum manifold that just bolts straight on which is one of the hard (and expensive) bits dealt with quickly and cheaply. They even have the engine management for you if you want to wire it in although there are additional considerations for the timing.

Realistically you need to know what you want to do and how much you want to spend to get it before you can get some realistic advice on the matter.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I shall do some hunting and see what i can find out.
Jo0lz, I notice your on the Wirral. In that case Hi from sunny Moreton :)
I have a copy of the GC Twin cam book, which im yet to read.
Even 130 BHP in a car weighing not much would be fun.(hopefully the 1500 engine will end up in the Uno at some point. It will move the car into a different class.

Never managed to get my hands on the Faza book but at $150 I don't really want to.....
Hmmmm . . . About 15 years ago I was directly in touch with Al Cosentino and could have bought a job lot of 20 copies of the FAZA Bible for £20 a piece . . . didn't have the spare cash at the time......would have been a good investment in hindsight

I have a copy of the PBS book and to be honest it isn't worth the hype unless you are going autocrossing (the american version) as much of the book is dedicated to bodywork and suspension modifications to that purpose.
Still an intertesting read for the X1/9 NuT [as I am :rolleyes:]

really you need fuel injection to make it work the way you want. Fortunately Fiat have a single plenum manifold that just bolts straight on which is one of the hard (and expensive) bits dealt with quickly and cheaply.
Do you mean the Uno Turbo inlet mates up to the 1500 SOHC Head?
If so I guess that inlet+MegaSquirt could be a fun budget upgrade . . .??

Jo0lz, I notice your on the Wirral. In that case Hi from sunny Moreton :)
I'm just down the road from you in Hoylake ;)
Got an UnoMk2 daily driver myself at the mo . . .

Hmmmm . . . About 15 years ago I was directly in touch with Al Cosentino and could have bought a job lot of 20 copies of the FAZA Bible for £20 a piece . . . didn't have the spare cash at the time......would have been a good investment in hindsight

Its very true, although not nearly as profitable as Guy Crofts book on twin cam tuning which is going for big bucks these days...

Do you mean the Uno Turbo inlet mates up to the 1500 SOHC Head?
If so I guess that inlet+MegaSquirt could be a fun budget upgrade . . .??

First of all that plenum manifold was originally designed for the 1500 injection engine (as used in american X1/9s) and second, what do you think the UT engine is? Its just a reduced bore version of the 1500 engine anyway...

So yes a MS kit is a budget upgrade and more than a few american Xers even have maps you can borrow to get yourself started!

Jo0lz, I may have seen your motor around, but im not in a Fiat, I'm in a Blue Land Rover 110 with lots of aerials. :)

I think i will do some hunting and see what i can find.

First of all that plenum manifold was originally designed for the 1500 injection engine (as used in american X1/9s) and second, what do you think the UT engine is? Its just a reduced bore version of the 1500 engine anyway...

So yes a MS kit is a budget upgrade and more than a few american Xers even have maps you can borrow to get yourself started!
Sorry about that
should have known better
was just being a little THiCK....(y)
FORGOT the YanK X1/9 1500 had injection as it came out of the showroom....DoH!!!

Jo0lz, I may have seen your motor around, but im not in a Fiat, I'm in a Blue Land Rover 110 with lots of aerials. :)
This how my daily motor looks at the minute ;)
20661_107106722636075_100000102444280_187778_1655436_n.jpg

20661_107106739302740_100000102444280_187783_1746215_n.jpg

If you see me about give us a TooT!!!
If I see a TooTinG Landy with TWiGs I'll know it is YOU...(y)

Back