Technical 1.2 8v Punto Cam/Timing Belt Renewal, Looking for tips and help

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 8v Punto Cam/Timing Belt Renewal, Looking for tips and help

L2cifer

Hi all!

This is my first post here, (despite browsing the forums from the shadows for quite a while)...

Any hoot! My punto's done about 50k miles now. It's an 03 plate 1.2 8v punto active. I've done a minor service on it in the past (oil change, and filters change), i've only owned it for a year now. However now I'm considering renewing the timing belt.

I've read my haynes manual and it's quite intimidating (going on about needing special tools for fitting and a special tool for testing the tension).

I'm hoping i could get some tips and helpful suggestions on how to approach the job at hand. Do i need special tools?

I apologize if this sort of thing has been covered in previous posts, i've done a search but not found to much information on the actual tools required.

Also do i need to renew the water pump?

great! :D I've got them! :D

Do you have any advice on getting the correct tension in the new belt? My haynes manual says something along the lines of on the longest length of belt to try and pinch and turn the belt 90 degree's. If it can do that it should be 'about' right.

However the intimidating bit is where it says straight after that a home mechanic should take their car to a dealership to get the tension accurately checked.

well its hard to explain how to tell if its too tight or not, as said you should be able to turn it 90 degrees, you should be able to this with 2 fingers and using light pressure, cos even if its too tight i find you can still turn it 90 degrees if you try hard enough.

they just say that to cover them selfs.

okay cool, I'm feeling a bit more confident on the idea now :)

I've spotted some timing belt kits on ebay but i'm gonna get some prices from local shops too.

Is it worth changing anything else at the same time?

The 8V is a non interference engine, so the prospect of a big bill from a small mistake isn't going to happen.

Cheers

SPD

Nice one cheers for that info! Helpful stuff!

Last edited:
you should change water pump and tensioer whilst at it.. if oyu change water pump make sure you have the gasket silicon to seal the new water pump on :)

easy job to do.. if the timin marks are right the 2 little lines on the belt should line up with them :)

Water pump. Make sure the belt kit comes with a tensioner.

Cheers

SPD

Will do! I noticed some on the internet are not a 'full' kit, It'll be worth me doing the lot :).

@Tony123: Thanks for the markings tips! Regarding: "Make sure you have the gasket silicon to seal the new water pump on". Whats the gasket silicon? Is it a standard gasket with silicon applied to it? also do i need to buy a new gasket?

@beau: Thanks for the info on when your sisters water pump failed! It's good to know when renewing bits your not wasting your time changing a component thats absolutely fine haha.

the silicon is a replacement to a gasket so you wont need a new gasket.. if you go to a local motor factor they should sell you sealent.. i paid about £5 for mine

Ah right I got you now :), sorry about that! Cheers for the help!

Its easy to get the timing mark on crankshaft wrong, so double check it. Better marks are available on the top of the bellhousing, using a mirror and torch, just line up the TDC with 0deg mark.
Before you strip down the engine, have a feel of the tension and twist of the old belt. It will give you a good idea of whats needed.
Tony

What happens if the crankshaft starts turning when the belt is off? It easy enough to find the point again? Don't get where the bellhousing is as reddy4bed mentioned. Is there a notch or anything like on the camshaft side?

Back