Technical Broken fuel gauge???

Currently reading:
Technical Broken fuel gauge???

largeinnit

Doh,

I have another irritating problem with my punto.

I've got an elx 1.2 V reg, its done 27000 miles and has a full service history. I've recently noticed that the fuel gauge has stopped working, its permanently stuck at halfway.

I done 90 miles and noticed no difference on needle, putting £10 of unleaded didn't make a diff.

Anyone else had this problem and how did they fix it. I've looked in my Haynes manual and all I can think of is replacing/cleaning the fuel pump and fuel gauge sender unit, but I'm not sure if that would do the trick. Any help much appreciated.

I'm no mechanic, but I've done a few bits on the car - would replacing the sender unit be something an amateur can do? Any idea how much a garage would charge to fix it?

thanks in advance

Dan

The sender units are quite expensive (£150 seems about right I think) Fitting it is a doddle of a job although it can become more time consuming if you decide to light up a fag at the same time! On the Mk1 the unit is accessed through a panel under the rear seat.

Is the sender unit connected to both the gauge and to the little yellow low gas light? On my mk1 the gauge is always wrong but when the yellow thing flashes I have about 60-80KM more to go, so then its time to get more.

Back