General How much to fit central locking?

Currently reading:
General How much to fit central locking?

net_hippy

Lord of the Manor
Basically, as the thread says!

I'm not so good with electrics or mechanics which makes tinkering with cars a little scary for me! I was wondering if someone could give me a ball park figure for an auto electrician to install a remote central locking kit purchased from ebay into my 1000CL? Going to make a couple of phone calls for quotes too, but would be good to know a rough estimate.

Last edited:
Do it yourself! It's really easy. I've fitted these to 3 Panda's now. Where are you located :confused:

If you wait about a month I will have a guide for sale on eBay on how to fit and alarm and/or Central locking kit to a Panda, I'm just currently typing it up and adding all the pics.

I'm well known for the guides I sell on eBay and have not had a single person have a problem following them, and it makes the job really easy to do, step by step (y)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260260363066
Here is a link to the Toyota Yaris one's I sell for CD players ;)

Jon.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Everyone one else puts their guides in the guide section of the forum...

:(:(:(:(

Yes, but I'm different and this is more like a haynes manual :eek:

Unfortunatly as a student I need to have a way of making money other than working for minimum wage and getting taxed and charged NI, and this is one of them. If like the Yaris 'Manual' I'm selling, it should sell very well ;)

:(:(:(:(

Yes, but I'm different and this is more like a haynes manual :eek:

Unfortunatly as a student I need to have a way of making money other than working for minimum wage and getting taxed and charged NI, and this is one of them. If like the Yaris 'Manual' I'm selling, it should sell very well ;)

I think you've overlooked a small point, with your Panda based enthusiasm.

There's tens of thousands of Yarises on the road. I see them every day. It's entirely plausible that a number of owners might want to upgrade the stereo and need a guide to help them. I would imagine Yaris owners are mostly strangers to the toolkit, as they don't go wrong often and are bought by people who view them as just another appliance, rather like the washing machine.

However, there's only a slack handful of Pandas left. I have to drive miles to FF meetings to see another one. There's probably only a tiny number of those whose owners want to install central locking. And most Panda owners are mechanically quite capable, or at least know someone who is. The joys of elderly Italian car ownership. :)

Not that I want to rain on your Parade (Ha Ha! Panda based pun for you there.. I know yours is a Selecta :p), but somehow I can't see your Panda guide getting into the bestseller lists, I'm afraid. J.K. Rowling probably isn't quaking in her boots, anyway..

Cheers,

Plug

Basically, as the thread says!

I'm not so good with electrics or mechanics which makes tinkering with cars a little scary for me! I was wondering if someone could give me a ball park figure for an auto electrician to install a remote central locking kit purchased from ebay into my 1000CL? Going to make a couple of phone calls for quotes too, but would be good to know a rough estimate.

I've fitted a couple of alarm/central locking kits in the past (not to the Panda, however). Unless there's any unusual features of the Panda I don't know about, I'd budget for 2-3 hours fitting. How much that translates to depends on the hourly rate, of course. An itinerant auto electrician who works from the back of a van will obviously be cheaper than one who has his own workshop.

Get a fixed price quote, rather than an estimate. The chances are they won't have fitted a Panda before, and you shouldn't be paying for them to learn how. If it takes 5 hours to do a 2 hour job, then that shouldn't come out of your pocket.. tell them to buy MEP's guide from eBay before they start! :D

Cheers,

Plug

Back