General MOT puts wrong mileage on certificate

Currently reading:
General MOT puts wrong mileage on certificate

Mdeko

Established member
Hi

My car had its MOT this morning, all past fine :D, though i wasnt too happy that he kept the car running all the time when he did the test (i understand u have to have it running for some but not all of them and most certainly not while he makes himself a cup of tea and has a fag :rolleyes:. . its wasting my petrol (im a tight student lol) and im nervous about it overheating. Luckily the fan kept coming on and off so i assume it didnt overheat as it sould of stayed on)

Anyways i got back home and looked at the certificate and he had recorder 554 000 miles. . . :eek: (yes thats 5 hundred thousand miles) instead of 54 000 miles.

How do i go about getting it put right. . i have phone the garage and they say they will ring up VOSA and try and get it changed and then send me out a duplicate MOT with the correct mileage on. Is this right?

Is it still legal to drive the car now?? (its obviously a typo but if i need to claim on my insurance wont they think its odd that my car reads lower mileage than the MOT states??)

Anybody had this happen to them. . how did you go about changing it? . . how long it take. . etc..

Thanks

Last edited:
Leaving engine running is best for the car when you take into account the number of electrical items he needs to check. Lights, wipers, horn.... you don't want all that load on your battery. Plus you want the car hot before he checks your emissions.

I got a letter from the DVLA saying during the MOT a descrepancy ws found between the V5 and the car - and it's been resolved... :eek:

It's still legal to drive it. It's not illegal to display an incorrect mileage anyway.

What the garage have said sounds right.

Back