Technical Help in changing transmission oil

Currently reading:
Technical Help in changing transmission oil

lukebrenner

Hello,
I own a 2001 Fiat Punto ELX, 16V, AUTOMATIC.
I would like to change the transmission fluid and was wondering if someone could give me a hand with some info.

1. What oil should I use ? Tutela CVT or any other brand works? (examples?)

2. Where is the fill plug (is it the yellow one under the hood?)

3. How can the tranny FILTER be changed and where is it ? Can it be done by me after draining the oil or should be a professional ?

Thank you kindly,

Luc

you must use tutela CVT2 OIL NOT CVT as cvt will bugger the box in a matter of miles cvt is intended for the older type mk1 automatics

the filter is just like an engine filter and is on top of the box it's black in colour

you are best to get your filter and oil from a fiat dealer they will stock both and will supply you the proper fiat tutela cvt2 oil

you need to fill it thou the dip stick tube

i can't guarantee it but think they hold about 2 litres so i would go from there

i assume you are aware the oil must be checked wile the engine is running as it must fill the torque converter and remain at top the dip stick is simply marked with cold and hot as you are changing it it will be cold when you check it so up to the bottom mark wile running

Last edited:
Hi there, thanks for the replies :)
HOLLY SMOKES ! 3.6 liters is the capacity of my automatic tranny ? Geez, I thought it's less than 2 liters.

Briefly, I live in Romania and went today to a company called Cefin (Italian) and bought 3 liters motor oil Selenia performer 5W-30.

So what I'll do, I'll go tomorrow and ask for transmission oil.

Littlepip, I went on the website and there's a product there called Tutela CVT NG (NG stands for "new generation"). Is that the one you're talking about ?

Here's the link :

http://www.flromania.com/oleje/auto_p_tutelacvtng.htm

And yes, I knew that the transmission fluid is to be checked with the engine running.

And still ... is the fill plug the one that is yellow in color ?

Thanks very much.

Luc

Hey Dave, are you really 100% sure it's 3.6 liters ?

I'll be damned if I understand :) There's 2 dip sticks under the hood : facing the engine, there's one RED on the left side of the engine which is the dip stick for the motor oil. Then there's another one on the right almost at the bottom which is YELLOW. That's the one we're talking about right ?

Thanks,

Luc

K, thanks for your reply Dave. Geez, that will cut deep into my budget as I expect it to be more expensive than a liter of synthetic Selenia motor oil.

Btw, that yellow dip stick is somehow clipped there, you can't just take it out like the one for the motor oil. I'll deal with it.

Thanks guys.

OK, mistery solved. I remembered I had a book that came with the car ... and I checked it and the capacity is 1.98 liters.

Thanks guys :) !

It says right here in the book Dave. 1.98 liters / 1.8 kg and they recommend (indeed) Tutela CVT N.G - SAE 75W-80 oil for continuous automatic transmission, Speedgear gearbox.

I'll maybe buy 4 liters just to be sure ;)

It's the official Fiat booklet ... the title on it is "Fiat Punto - Speedgear" ... I remembered that I got it with other booklets in the blue FIAT plastic binder.

Back