General Redex engine cleaner?

Currently reading:
General Redex engine cleaner?

mike.said

Hey guys

Does anyone know if it is worth using redex engine cleaner for the car? Its a Brava 1.4..Redex is that stuff that u throw into the petrol tank and they say it cleans the engine....Is it worth using? and is it safe?

thanks!

Hey guys

Does anyone know if it is worth using redex engine cleaner for the car? Its a Brava 1.4..Redex is that stuff that u throw into the petrol tank and they say it cleans the engine....Is it worth using? and is it safe?

thanks!

Hi Mike i have herd alot of people who say that it is good to put redex in your car. i put redex in my bravo hgt 2L 20v since then everytime i start my car the injector light stays on if i turn it off then back on again it goes out. so personaly i wouldn't use it. craig

ok thanks for lettin me know! but did it make any differance to the performance of the car?

you can regularly add redex style detergents, or you can use super unleaded (it works out cheaper and more effective using redex), both will in theory lead to cleaner valves. in practice the effect it has is negligible because both redex and super unleaded additives are really just 95% paraffin. that paraffin can help to clean your injectors as it passes through them, but in the very dilute amount it wont really help significantly. it will clean the inlet valves as the fuel injector sprays pretty much on to the valve, but they are clean on that inlet side anyway because they are closed during combustion. it wont have any effect on your exhaust valves since the paraffin is combusted in the cylinder before it passes through the exhaust valve. the theory is that on the compression stoke both valves will be closed and the cylinder will then have high pressure paraffin cleaning on the inside of both valves. in reality this doesn’t happen because it takes a lot more than a millisecond for paraffin to dissolve the carbon so it can be burnt, and the paraffin will be very diluted even if it did have more time to act.

to overcome the ineffectiveness of fuel additives you can give your valves a proper clean. remove the sparkplugs and pour some (15ml) redex in each cylinder, then turn the engine over for 30 secs. now your valves are covered in paraffin, which dissolves the carbon deposits. wait 5 mins to allow that to happen, then refit the sparkplugs and fire it up so you can burn those carbon deposits off. i do this at every service.

Last edited:
Agree with Jug, a work colleague used to work for Holts-Lloyds as it used to me ,and certainly the old school redex (circa 1990) apparantly was literally nothing more than white spirit, with dye in it, and 'a sort of wax' to thicken it up, so you feel as though you are getting something for your money. c

Cheeky git :p Just had to make sure that jug didnt have a super special way of pouring it in ;)

No doubt he has some special piece of hose pipe and a funnel which in turn doubles as his mechanics stethoscope.

i think jug is getting mixed up between fuel additives. and engine additives, a lot of engines additives are chlorinated paraffin

He could be, but i think he's talking about using redex to remove the carbon deposits on the valves etc. Most engine additives i've used go in the oil rather than the cylinders.. although granted engine flush for loosening oil and crud from your oil system is mainly kerosene.

i think jug is getting mixed up between fuel additives. and engine additives, a lot of engines additives are chlorinated paraffin

fuel additives are also paraffin, redex is 95% paraffin and 5% ATF fluid.
but you dont have to add it to your fuel (where it cant help), you can add it directly to your cylinders instead then you really do clean your valves. in the good old days this was explained on the bottle.

i dont have any magic method, i just pour it down the plug holes like the instrucitons told me to.

it really does work, i've actually been able to tell the difference on older engines. you get more power and better mpg due to improved compression.

Last edited:
hi iv dont rate redex did not make no different to my td
save your money

Back