Register Login
Save up to 15% with Adrian Flux insurance!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 98
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Oil consumption

Hi All,

The 1.2 2012 panda has used about 250ml of oil since the last service which was approx 3months and 3500miles ago.

Does this sound about right? Car had only done 18k when I picked it up from the dealer.

Drives fine.

Thanks
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Cameron1590 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
2014 Panda Lounge 1.2
 
murphyv310's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kilmarnock
Posts: 504
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
murphyv310 has donated!
murphyv310 is an honorary friend of the forum :)
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Hi.
Just make sure its not going into the inlet manifold via the engine breather.
I'd take out the MAP sensor on the side of the inlet manifold (Drivers side) one torx screw and slowly and gently pull it out with perhaps slight twisting action and check it's not got oil on it, if it is then that is where your oil is going most likely.
It could effect the MAP and the upstream Lambda sensor.
Please can you update the thread with your findings.
__________________

Cheers Trevor
murphyv310 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,405
Thanks: 95
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron1590 View Post
Hi All,

The 1.2 2012 panda has used about 250ml of oil since the last service which was approx 3months and 3500miles ago.

Does this sound about right? Car had only done 18k when I picked it up from the dealer.

Drives fine.

Thanks
Yes that's absolutely fine.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

jackwhoo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
2014 Panda Lounge 1.2
 
murphyv310's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kilmarnock
Posts: 504
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
murphyv310 has donated!
murphyv310 is an honorary friend of the forum :)
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by jackwhoo View Post
Yes that's absolutely fine.
Quite possibly Jack. But it would do no harm to see if the MAP was wet. There's another thread with an owner having MAP oil contamination issues...... I'd like to see if a pattern emerges.
__________________

Cheers Trevor
murphyv310 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,405
Thanks: 95
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Quite possibly Jack. But it would do no harm to see if the MAP was wet. There's another thread with an owner having MAP oil contamination issues...... I'd like to see if a pattern emerges.
Hi Murphy,
I wasn't treading on your toes , just confirming 250ml oil use in 3500 miles OK. Actually it's very low oil consumption in my opinion.
Well done to original poster for checking dipstick loads of people don't.
Jack
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

jackwhoo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
2014 Panda Lounge 1.2
 
murphyv310's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kilmarnock
Posts: 504
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
murphyv310 has donated!
murphyv310 is an honorary friend of the forum :)
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by jackwhoo View Post
Hi Murphy,
I wasn't treading on your toes , just confirming 250ml oil use in 3500 miles OK. Actually it's very low oil consumption in my opinion.
Well done to original poster for checking dipstick loads of people don't.
Jack
Absolutely Jack. 250ml is nothing in that mileage but where is it actually going, say half is getting sucked into the manifold and contaminating the MAF, it's not a lot but really none should be going there at all. No doubt each engine will be different, slow driving and glazed bores won't help, no doubt my problem with the old biddy first owner of my 1.2.
__________________

Cheers Trevor
murphyv310 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 98
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Hi, had a look at map sensor. Some oil on it so wiped it dry. Photo below. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1972.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	181804
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Cameron1590 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
2014 Panda Lounge 1.2
 
murphyv310's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kilmarnock
Posts: 504
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
murphyv310 has donated!
murphyv310 is an honorary friend of the forum :)
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Thanks for the picture.
The oil though will have penetrated to the sensor element through the opening. It really needs to be washed off with a MAF cleaner or even carburettor cleaner.
The worry is over time the sensor will fail, remember this contamination is "Blow by oil" so sump contaminates are suspended in this oil and the chemicals involved could be detrimental to the sensor.
You then are the third to have this on a MAP so I do think that there is an issue, no doubt a lot are the same.
It must depend on the amount on the MAP whether running issues are going to occur or not.
__________________

Cheers Trevor
murphyv310 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 191
Thanks: 10
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
Just make sure its not going into the inlet manifold via the engine breather.
I'd take out the MAP sensor on the side of the inlet manifold (Drivers side) one torx screw and slowly and gently pull it out with perhaps slight twisting action and check it's not got oil on it, if it is then that is where your oil is going most likely.
It could effect the MAP and the upstream Lambda sensor.
Please can you update the thread with your findings.
Pics of where I should be looking would be appreciated
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

leroya500 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
2014 Panda Lounge 1.2
 
murphyv310's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kilmarnock
Posts: 504
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
murphyv310 has donated!
murphyv310 is an honorary friend of the forum :)
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by leroya500 View Post
Pics of where I should be looking would be appreciated
Hi.
Sorry I am a little at a loss as to the question. The sensor is located on the inlet manifold on the left hand side looking at the front of the car. The sensor has a plug attached to it and it is held in place by a torx bolt. once the bolt is out carefully remove the sensor. Once out you will see a little cage around the sensitive sensor element, any oil present on the cage will mean the element will also be contaminated with oil, this needs to be washed off with MAF or Carburettor cleaner. Refit the sensor after cleaning, the O ring should be given a very light smear of vaseline as it will be hard to push in with a dry O ring. I cleaned out the orifice in the manifold with a cotton bud. Do not use silicone lubricant on the O ring.
__________________

Cheers Trevor
murphyv310 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,405
Thanks: 95
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
Sorry I am a little at a loss as to the question. The sensor is located on the inlet manifold on the left hand side looking at the front of the car. The sensor has a plug attached to it and it is held in place by a torx bolt. once the bolt is out carefully remove the sensor. Once out you will see a little cage around the sensitive sensor element, any oil present on the cage will mean the element will also be contaminated with oil, this needs to be washed off with MAF or Carburettor cleaner. Refit the sensor after cleaning, the O ring should be given a very light smear of vaseline as it will be hard to push in with a dry O ring. I cleaned out the orifice in the manifold with a cotton bud. Do not use silicone lubricant on the O ring.
I think they want a picture with a pointer indicating the map sensor.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

jackwhoo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,065
Thanks: 107
Trader Rating: 0
Netherlands 
Re: Oil consumption

__________________
There are pretenders among us.....
Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.

The Pretender is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13
2014 Panda Lounge 1.2
 
murphyv310's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kilmarnock
Posts: 504
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
murphyv310 has donated!
murphyv310 is an honorary friend of the forum :)
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by jackwhoo View Post
I think they want a picture with a pointer indicating the map sensor.
I'll leave it to those good with Photoshop.
Likes jackwhoo liked this post
__________________

Cheers Trevor
murphyv310 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 98
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Oil consumption

Just checked the oil level again the other day after topping up as the drive isn't perfectly level. We had parked on a level service overnight and topped up to the full mark. Total oil stands now at around 450ml. Does that still sound like an okay amount? The car was serviced prior to us collecting and the oil looked to be full on the dipstick but because it was so clear I couldn't be 100% sure. Thanks
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Cameron1590 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,065
Thanks: 107
Trader Rating: 0
Netherlands 
Re: Oil consumption

Quote Originally Posted by jackwhoo View Post
I think they want a picture with a pointer indicating the map sensor.
Picture with pointer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FIRE-1.2-map-sensor.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	181908  
Thanks leroya500 thanked for this post
Likes jackwhoo liked this post
__________________
There are pretenders among us.....
Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.

The Pretender is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Oil consumption after full oil/filter change fivegoldstars Punto (Mk1) 10 11-02-2015 22:22
(T) Oil Consumption devans_sporting Grande Punto 4 12-01-2009 02:57
(G) Oil consumption Advanced Driver Cinquecento / Seicento 11 09-07-2005 10:50
(G) Oil consumption Enzo Panda (Classic) 22 17-05-2004 05:28
(G) oil consumption uncle albert Coupe 2 02-11-2003 16:54