Register Login
Mr FIAT - Your #1 source for vintage car parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2017   #106
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 605
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: 1988 Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley "Four by Fork"

The journey to Yorkshire, firstly a stop off to my friend Matt's to see him and his 1000CL - picture complimentary of course!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6616.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	181864

The second stop was needed after a long standstill on the M1, the car got a bit hot and bothered so a quick cool down and looping round the motorway for the next part of the journey did a lot of good and the car ran a dream after that.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6620.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	181865

A third stop for a bit of food!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6621.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	181866

And finally arrived, saying night to the Panda for now but looking forward to seeing the 4x4 group and get on the rougher stuff tomorrow. It's going to be a great experience for me and I hope to meet some new people at the same time
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6622.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	181867
Likes aquamarine liked this post
FDNY21 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-08-2017   #107
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 605
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: 1988 Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley "Four by Fork"

Update time for the Four by Fork!

I haven't spoken on the thread since the 4x4 meet in Yorkshire. Overall it was a great success for the car, and the sump guard addition proved well as it gained a lot of scratches and dents! It has been cleaned up now, ready for another 4x4 meet I reckon. I'd like to get to the next meet in September, however already planned something for the weekend, so I am going to see if I can work around it and get there. It would be great to meet all the 4x4 lot and get muddy again. Speaking of mud, I still need to clean the car of all the Yorkshire mud that has been caked on... it has made good conversation at car meets and such though

The car did have a slight starting issue after the meet, where the turn of the key didn't engage the starter motor, after a few turns it would start. This persisted so I cleaned various Earth connections on the car and also cleaned all the starter motor connections. The problem still happened once after so I removed the starter motor from the parts car ready to put on - now that I've done that though, I haven't had any issues starting since, and it's started a lot of times on the dot now... maybe the clean did help after all but we shall see :P

The most recent issue occurred when I got to work this morning, opened my door, got out and got all my stuff, then tried to shut the door but to no avail. A work mate thought it was the top hinge that had bent so I went to the workshop and got the tools to remove the bolts on it but turns out it wasn't the top hinge - hence I needed to take off the bottom hinge. Couldn't take it off from the side because the plastic piece needs the door shut to take it off. Couldn't take it off from the inside of the door because I didn't have the tools and it was going to rain as well so I didn't have much time. The verdict - hop in the car, and drive it to the workshop! I held the door tight, luckily it's only a few houses down the road, though the small Panda width means you don't go over the side of the road even with your door half open anyway. Once in the workshop, removed the door and then the plastic and bottom hinge. The issue was the metal spring plate thing had snapped off and fell into two pieces on the floor. It was jamming the door open when trying to shut it. The fix? Put it all back together and just leave the metal spring plate out. Sorted, and as good as ever!
FDNY21 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-08-2017   #108
Inept fettler
 
northernchap's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bradford
Posts: 270
Thanks: 34
Trader Rating: 0
northernchap has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: 1988 Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley "Four by Fork"

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY21 View Post
The car did have a slight starting issue after the meet, where the turn of the key didn't engage the starter motor, after a few turns it would start. This persisted so I cleaned various Earth connections on the car and also cleaned all the starter motor connections. The problem still happened once after so I removed the starter motor from the parts car ready to put on - now that I've done that though, I haven't had any issues starting since, and it's started a lot of times on the dot now... maybe the clean did help after all but we shall see :P
I had a similar thing with mine, getting nothing when turning the key. I got quite adept at getting out, whacking the starter motor with the little wheelbrace thing, then it would start fine. Then all of a sudden it stopped happening and has never done it since. All I can assume is that some muck must have got into it or something and caused it to stick, but a bit of use cleaned it out.
Likes FDNY21 liked this post
__________________

88 Panda 4x4 - Still more welding required.
91 Peugeot 309 GLD - The ultimate practical classic. Awaiting MOT.
65 Mustang - broken as usual. Last moved August 2015.
92 Citroen BX TZD Estate - Running well for the moment...
northernchap is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-08-2017   #109
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 450
Thanks: 46
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
1988 Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley "Four by Fork"

Yes mud in the bendix ( the spiral that throws the gear into the fly wheel teeth can get blocked up with debris
Take off the starter give it a bath in diesel and oil mix. That should fix that
Owen you have a new (old) door hinge on the spares car don't you
Swop that out as that spring plate stop your door blowing open or swinging out on a hill it's a 20 min job .
Likes FDNY21 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Sjvarley; 08-08-2017 at 13:47.
Sjvarley is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-08-2017   #110
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 605
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: 1988 Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley "Four by Fork"

Quote Originally Posted by northernchap View Post
I had a similar thing with mine, getting nothing when turning the key. I got quite adept at getting out, whacking the starter motor with the little wheelbrace thing, then it would start fine. Then all of a sudden it stopped happening and has never done it since. All I can assume is that some muck must have got into it or something and caused it to stick, but a bit of use cleaned it out.
Quote Originally Posted by Sjvarley View Post
Yes mud in the bendix ( the spiral that throws the gear into the fly wheel teeth can get blocked up with debris
Take off the starter give it a bath in diesel and oil mix.
Sounds like it was probably some kind of muck causing it after the meet then, as I expected with the earths and connections etc though likely to be in the spiral, must be cleaned up now then but if this occurs again then I know to give the starter a bath! Or use my nice spare one
Quote Originally Posted by Sjvarley View Post
Owen you have a new (old) door hinge on the spares car don't you
Swop that out as that spring plate stop your door blowing open or swinging out on a hill it's a 20 min job .
I have another Panda that needs doors looking at and possibly needs new hinges too so the hinges from the parts car may well be used for that, in which case I won't have a spare plate - the door still acts the same as it did before so makes no difference to me. As long as it's not going to fly open around a corner... though I usually keep the driver door locked because that happened once before!
FDNY21 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panda (Classic) 1988 Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley - 895 - Macclesfield a73uk Auction Watch 4 18-12-2015 15:38
Panda (Classic) Cheap 4x4 "Sisley" - for a reason? Palio Auction Watch 10 18-03-2012 21:17
(G) "1988 Panda had no radio aerial as standard!" ? TechyWill Panda (Classic) 11 09-01-2011 22:25
(G) Fiat 4x4 Sisley Owners - "Your Views needed" Xiotis Panda (Classic) 19 29-07-2006 22:15