Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
View Poll Results: Abarth Grande Punto
Sub-Zero 15 35.71%
Cool 17 40.48%
Uncool 8 19.05%
Seriously Uncool 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 17-04-2015   #1
I choose you!
 
blu73's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pallet Town
Posts: 16,800
Thanks: 356
Trader Rating: 2
blu73 has donated!
Snowboard Slalom Champion, Skate Boarder Champion
United Kingdom 
Abarth Grande Punto

Ladies and Gents, The AGP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Abarth Grande Punto (9).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	153356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grande-Punto-Abarth-27.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	500.2 KB
ID:	153357  

Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	153358  
Thanks puntofan01 thanked for this post
__________________
Charmander - Panda Mania 1242 mpi 8v - thread
Sully - 500 1.3 Mjet - thread
Oberyn - Suzuki Ignis Sport - thread
Some previous cars: Alfa 159, Bravo HGT, Cinq 16v, Sei Turbo, Punto GT
blu73 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-04-2015   #2
100% fiat addict
 
mariocinq's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,798
Thanks: 56
Blog Entries: 10
Trader Rating: 2
mariocinq has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

this car commits a Fiat sin! its like the Seicento Abarth and Cinquecento Abarth. its not Mad enough, yet its not plain either, it just looks like its trying too hard.


Abarths should be like Abarths of old like the old 500 (I think) where it over heated so they just welded the bonnet open, that's an Abarth and anything wearing an Abarth badge and its not wheel spinning sideways into a car park on fire is just not an Abarth.
Thanks Freebo thanked for this post
Likes Young Efficient, Freebo liked this post
__________________
Fiat,Its not just a car, its an obsession

2003 BMW 320d (daily)

Last edited by mariocinq; 17-04-2015 at 16:44.
mariocinq is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-04-2015   #3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,194
Thanks: 31
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

Beyond sub zero!!!!!! The only Grande Punto that's as cool as the Eleganza!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

puntofan01 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-04-2015   #4
I choose you!
 
blu73's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pallet Town
Posts: 16,800
Thanks: 356
Trader Rating: 2
blu73 has donated!
Snowboard Slalom Champion, Skate Boarder Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

Quote Originally Posted by mariocinq View Post
this car commits a Fiat sin! its like the Seicento Abarth and Cinquecento Abarth. its not Mad enough, yet its not plain either, it just looks like its trying too hard.


Abarths should be like Abarths of old like the old 500 (I think) where it over heated so they just welded the bonnet open, that's an Abarth and anything wearing an Abarth badge and its not wheel spinning sideways into a car park on fire is just not an Abarth.
this made me actually lol, like literally. i tend to agree but i think its cooler than the 500A and it has potential... I wouldn't want or get one now, but in 10 years i reckon we would all love a AGP - heavily breathed on one thats actually fast though.
Likes mariocinq liked this post
__________________
Charmander - Panda Mania 1242 mpi 8v - thread
Sully - 500 1.3 Mjet - thread
Oberyn - Suzuki Ignis Sport - thread
Some previous cars: Alfa 159, Bravo HGT, Cinq 16v, Sei Turbo, Punto GT
blu73 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-04-2015   #5
Spirito di Panto!
 
Palio's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Princes Risborough, Bucks
Posts: 4,609
Thanks: 401
Trader Rating: 0
Palio is part of the official FF Events Team :)
Palio has donated!
Animal Maze Champion, Baker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

I don't know, it's pretty mad in EsseEsse trim - 180bhp through the front wheels - it will try to throw you into the hedge if you hit the loud pedal too brutally. You can't really get into the back due to the seat thickness, and the rear seats don't fold more than 45 degrees for the same reason. Keeping a tradition of impracticality!

__________________
Please support Pinky - go to http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/pinky


Palio is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-04-2015   #6
Big is not always better
 
scout's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Aylesbury
Posts: 3,230
Thanks: 115
Trader Rating: 0
scout has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

The problem as I see it with the GPA is that it is cheap enough to attract the idiots, and that is never cool
__________________
Gotta' luv goin' topless

Be wary of little Fiats they get under your skin
My 500 has an older cousin (Classic Panda)
scout is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-04-2015   #7
Spirito di Panto!
 
Palio's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Princes Risborough, Bucks
Posts: 4,609
Thanks: 401
Trader Rating: 0
Palio is part of the official FF Events Team :)
Palio has donated!
Animal Maze Champion, Baker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

Quote Originally Posted by scout View Post
The problem as I see it with the GPA is that it is cheap enough to attract the idiots, and that is never cool
They weren't cheap when I bought mine!

Just got to wait for all the idiots to wreck them and crash them now - it will take a few years, but will happen.

People don't always realise how rare the AGP is. 366 were registered, and there are 350 left. I think there were about 60 black ones registered in 2009 (most were red or white), and most won't be the EsseEsse version, as that cost an extra 4000.
__________________
Please support Pinky - go to http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/pinky


Palio is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-04-2015   #8
Big is not always better
 
scout's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Aylesbury
Posts: 3,230
Thanks: 115
Trader Rating: 0
scout has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

Quote Originally Posted by Palio View Post
They weren't cheap when I bought mine!

Just got to wait for all the idiots to wreck them and crash them now - it will take a few years, but will happen.

People don't always realise how rare the AGP is. 366 were registered, and there are 350 left. I think there were about 60 black ones registered in 2009 (most were red or white), and most won't be the EsseEsse version, as that cost an extra 4000.

Your EsseEsse is possibly the best AGP I've seen, No gaudy decals but still capable of ripping your head off, it is also posibly the lowest milage AGP on the road.
Thanks Palio thanked for this post
Likes Palio liked this post
__________________
Gotta' luv goin' topless

Be wary of little Fiats they get under your skin
My 500 has an older cousin (Classic Panda)
scout is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-04-2015   #9
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 89
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

The rarity factor means sub-zero normally, but a gearbox made of cheese lets it down massively
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

jasracing is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 18-04-2015   #10
I choose you!
 
blu73's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pallet Town
Posts: 16,800
Thanks: 356
Trader Rating: 2
blu73 has donated!
Snowboard Slalom Champion, Skate Boarder Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

i been in a APE supersport and driven an AGP essesse and it just felt a bit boring to me.. I know its not slow or anything but crucially it didn't feel particularly fast. I embarrassed a lad in on with my old seicento turbo and pretty sure a mk1 GT would utterly destroy one.. The engine is good though, throw some tuning things at it and it can make really impressive numbers but out the box it feels lacklustre to me and lacking excitement. All this is of course just my opinion, i can see why people like them and stuff but for me they need to age another 10 to 15 years and then i suspect i will really want one lol.

The grande in general i have always thought feels flimsy and badly put together inside which is a big shame - defo the best looking hatch released recently (yes its not really recently anymore but i still consider them new cars).
__________________
Charmander - Panda Mania 1242 mpi 8v - thread
Sully - 500 1.3 Mjet - thread
Oberyn - Suzuki Ignis Sport - thread
Some previous cars: Alfa 159, Bravo HGT, Cinq 16v, Sei Turbo, Punto GT
blu73 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-04-2015   #11
Spirito di Panto!
 
Palio's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Princes Risborough, Bucks
Posts: 4,609
Thanks: 401
Trader Rating: 0
Palio is part of the official FF Events Team :)
Palio has donated!
Animal Maze Champion, Baker Champion, Bunny Grab Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

Quote Originally Posted by blu73 View Post
i been in a APE supersport and driven an AGP essesse and it just felt a bit boring to me.. I know its not slow or anything but crucially it didn't feel particularly fast. I embarrassed a lad in on with my old seicento turbo and pretty sure a mk1 GT would utterly destroy one.. The engine is good though, throw some tuning things at it and it can make really impressive numbers but out the box it feels lacklustre to me and lacking excitement. All this is of course just my opinion, i can see why people like them and stuff but for me they need to age another 10 to 15 years and then i suspect i will really want one lol.

The grande in general i have always thought feels flimsy and badly put together inside which is a big shame - defo the best looking hatch released recently (yes its not really recently anymore but i still consider them new cars).
You weren't driving it right then!! The EsseEsse is quicker 0-62 and top speed than a mk1 GT.

It is extremely docile until prodded. A couple of people have tried mine & thought it wasn't that quick as a passenger - it nearly threw then into the hedge despite my warning!

The early Grande looked a bit flimsy inside, but the Abarth always gets compliments about the quality of the fit & finish. Are you sure it was an Abarth?
__________________
Please support Pinky - go to http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/pinky



Last edited by Palio; 19-04-2015 at 00:03.
Palio is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-04-2015   #12
I choose you!
 
blu73's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pallet Town
Posts: 16,800
Thanks: 356
Trader Rating: 2
blu73 has donated!
Snowboard Slalom Champion, Skate Boarder Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

Yes i'm sure haha.. Like I said though, its not that its not fast more that it didn't feel fast. Actual numbers are different to feel is what i am getting at, I don't like the feel. Had the same with a few cars, prime example would be when i almost bought a Alfa GTV V6 - Pretty car, and on paper well specced with a great engine. 220+bhp, loads of torque, scrambles to 60 in under 7 seconds blah blah but if you actually sit in one and poke it with a sharp stick it really doesn't feel like its going as fast as it is - and i had the same thing with the AGP, to me it just didn't feel quick and exciting.

Not convinced its faster than a GT either, yep its got 50ish bhp on a GT but on paper they both have almost exactly the same 0-60, top speeds mean nothing in real life. And the GT just feels like its trying to headbutt the horizon by comparison to me.

I'm really not trying to knock the AGP at all, I don't mind it as a car and it looks immense - just i walked away disappointed by it whereas when i first got in a GT i was properly shocked and impressed by it. But its all this is my personal preference on cars and how they should be and feel.
__________________
Charmander - Panda Mania 1242 mpi 8v - thread
Sully - 500 1.3 Mjet - thread
Oberyn - Suzuki Ignis Sport - thread
Some previous cars: Alfa 159, Bravo HGT, Cinq 16v, Sei Turbo, Punto GT

Last edited by blu73; 19-04-2015 at 00:44.
blu73 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-04-2015   #13
Stick your own title
 
mrcinquecento's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dundee
Posts: 1,593
Thanks: 73
Trader Rating: 0
mrcinquecento has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

Quote Originally Posted by Palio View Post
You weren't driving it right then!! The EsseEsse is quicker 0-62 and top speed than a mk1 GT.

It is extremely docile until prodded. A couple of people have tried mine & thought it wasn't that quick as a passenger - it nearly threw then into the hedge despite my warning!

The early Grande looked a bit flimsy inside, but the Abarth always gets compliments about the quality of the fit & finish. Are you sure it was an Abarth?
They really aren't that quick, even the essesse is something like 7.7 seconds to 60? it should have been in the mid 6's standard, where the focus st's are.

The fact the Abarth 500's are quicker than the AGP just compounds it.

Fiat made a massive mistake there.

But they do have a certain coolness to them all the same, fast enough for what it should be or not.
__________________
www.fiat-scotland.com,the home of all things both scottish and italian. it's a bit like having an irn bru with your pizza, only much tastier

98 Fiat Cinquecento Sporting 16v, 94 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
mrcinquecento is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-04-2015   #14
I choose you!
 
blu73's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pallet Town
Posts: 16,800
Thanks: 356
Trader Rating: 2
blu73 has donated!
Snowboard Slalom Champion, Skate Boarder Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

see its not even the speed though, its the sense of urgency or lack thereof i don't like. Each to their own though
__________________
Charmander - Panda Mania 1242 mpi 8v - thread
Sully - 500 1.3 Mjet - thread
Oberyn - Suzuki Ignis Sport - thread
Some previous cars: Alfa 159, Bravo HGT, Cinq 16v, Sei Turbo, Punto GT
blu73 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 19-04-2015   #15
Stick your own title
 
mrcinquecento's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dundee
Posts: 1,593
Thanks: 73
Trader Rating: 0
mrcinquecento has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Abarth Grande Punto

Quote Originally Posted by blu73 View Post
see its not even the speed though, its the sense of urgency or lack thereof i don't like. Each to their own though
I agree, my point is more that it doesn't feel quick and on paper, it isn't as quick as it's rivals, so it's really a double whammy.

If it was the speed it is, but had a rawness to it, it'd feel more "alive" and faster, or it could be faster and not feel fast but at least on paper it was, as it is, it's neither.
__________________
www.fiat-scotland.com,the home of all things both scottish and italian. it's a bit like having an irn bru with your pizza, only much tastier

98 Fiat Cinquecento Sporting 16v, 94 Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
mrcinquecento is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump