General Heated mirrors?

Currently reading:
General Heated mirrors?

Red Devil

We have just bought a 2009 500s and have come across a few minor glitches. How we didn't notice a centre cap on a wheel was missing I don't know, but after a quick internet search that appears to be an easy fix. Likewise the missing locknut key.

However, on defrosting the car this morning, only the drivers side mirror appears to be heated. Is that standard or do we have a fault with the nearside mirror?

Is there anything else that we should be on the lookout for?

I've an 08 sport. Both mirrors are heated and switched on when the rear window defrost button is pressed.

As well documented on this forum the rear hatch wiring is a weak spot, and given the age of your car it may well need addressing.

Tom

The driver's mirror and heated rear screen certainly worked with fine, is the wiring from the hatch likely to be causing this problem?

The driver's mirror and heated rear screen certainly worked with fine, is the wiring from the hatch likely to be causing this problem?

Not likely, but it's possible the wire through the door conduit has fractured. It might be an idea to pop the mirror glass out and see if the wires are connected. It's also possible the glass has been replaced at some stage with a non-heated variety.

The glass is more likely to be faulty than the wiring. The passenger side mirror on ours failed after about 3 or 4 years of use.

There are some pictures of the mirror internals in this thread.

The glass just pops off, and requires slightly more force than you'd think would be needed to break it. IIRC I used a wooden spatula behind it to help prise it off; and as John says, a warm day helps too.

The connectors on the heated mirror glass are very fragile and easily damaged; be especially careful when removing and replacing them. They may just have become corroded, in which case it may need nothing more than removing the connectors and cleaning the contacts.

Last edited:
We have just bought a 2009 500s and have come across a few minor glitches. How we didn't notice a centre cap on a wheel was missing I don't know, but after a quick internet search that appears to be an easy fix. Likewise the missing locknut key.

However, on defrosting the car this morning, only the drivers side mirror appears to be heated. Is that standard or do we have a fault with the nearside mirror?

Is there anything else that we should be on the lookout for?

I have the same thing with mine but on the drivers side, when I posted the problem on here the response was its probably a break in the wiring before the mirror so its a case of inserting a knife blade into the wires and testing for current. Once you find a section with current it means the break will be further along towards the mirror.

Back