Technical What oil do you use?

Currently reading:
Technical What oil do you use?

believe it or not, I couldn't find another covering the Abarth 500.:)

the OP was just after confirmation that what they'd been sold was correct.(y)

I'm well aware what's being asked here. On most if not all car forums there is a plethora of questions about what oil. On here it must be up there with how much faster can I make my 1.2 Fiat..:)

I also said other information about oil which missed is out here. Cherry picking is really an easy way out. Again, it would be beneficial to actually read up about engine oil & the lengths that companies go to, to purchase their oil. Most, if not all oil come from the same base stock. I certainly do not want to force anyone off their chosen brand, it's a case of what makes you feel safe about your engine. A little detective work could open your eyes......Just saying.

Last edited:
Apologies for dragging this on, but I just want to point out a few factors about engine oil. Regarding the named "Abarth" oil it's neither a bad or best oil, it just happens to be a compatible oil for your engine with fancy advertising & a hefty price tag. As long as the spec on the side of an oil container is the one recommended for your engine you are good to go. Yes ladies & gentlemen it's as easy as that.:)

As well as being no such thing as a best ever oil, there is no such thing as a bad oil. Different spec oils are designed for different engines, again as simple as that.:) Happy new year to you all.....:wave:

ANYTHING that's the right grade, Wilko, Halfords, Asda, you name it just remember to change it at least every year, not had an issue.

I used to be a bit of an oil snob and then I thought, why am I paying £40+ for engine oil that gets swapped out every 5000 miles anyway?

The two 500's we used to have, they were dealer serviced for the first 3 years, so I did nothing with those and then of course, we got rid. Wife's Hyundai is currently on a 3 year service plan and I know for a fact they put Shell Helix 5w30 acea c3 in that.

Meanwhile, my trusty Saab 9-3, gets any brand of fully synthetic 5w30 acea c3, and I rarely pay more than £20 for five litres. Plus, after every oil change, I'm left over with 700ml from a 5 litre container and that often gets mixed up with the 700ml leftovers from previous oil changes. Just a couple of weeks back, I bought 2 litres of Tesco branded (manufactured by Tetrosyl I believe), for just £6. I've got enough left overs to mix it all up for a full 5 litre can and chuck it in for my next oil/filter change. That'll be Asda, Tesco, a bit of Shell, a bit of Saab branded, makes no difference, all 5w30 acea c3, all mixed together. I'm sooooo bad! :devil:

Back