Technical Uber Fiat 500 with Ferrari 3.0 V8 Engine Swap

Currently reading:
Technical Uber Fiat 500 with Ferrari 3.0 V8 Engine Swap

Ultra transplant. Fantastic imagination + Skilled engineering and metal working. If this has been posted before my apologCan't post full addy because of restriction so go seek - Fiat 500 with Ferrari 3.0 V8 Engine Swap

I'd rather have a Lancia Stratos replica that was built for a 3.0 mid engine.

Mods If this is spam just delete the thread

Lancia_Stratos_HF_001.JPG

Doesn't sound possible to me. That engine is a great hulking thing, it would never fit. Even if it did, the power would be way too much for the chassis and it would instantly wrap itself around the nearest lamp post.

This would appear to be a concept rather than an actual car.

It's a 500, Jim, but not as we know it...

Article here.

There have been several similar mods to the classic 500, but they belong in a different section.

Last edited:
I often bang on about the Rotax direct injected 2 strokes. The US EPA dramatically tightened the emissions rules for off road engines. Most makers went to large and heavy four strokes but these struggle with NOx emissions so are only a partial solution. Rotax went for 2 strokes. They struggled with cold start emissions but direct injection solved the smelly smoky exhaust from old strokers. Oil consumption is a bit higher than 4 strokes but not much (2 strokes don't need oil changes).

The Rotax 850 E-Tec makes 165bhp at 8000rpm and weighs 42kg but being 2 stroke it pulls hard at low revs as well. Snow mobiles need to keep going with the drag of heavy snow under the rear track. Obviously 165 bhp turns fuel but the E-TEC is also more fuel efficient than competing 4 stokes.

High power = high wear rates but the less powerful versions are cheap to run and they don't hammer the prisons and cylinders like the old strokers used in bikes. The Suzuki RGV 250 apart from being smokey would trash a top end in under 10,000 miles. Lower performance engines would bare manage 30K miles on a barrel set. The DI engines solve this by not mixing fuel and oil (the oil works better) and by removing part throttle missfire which mechanically batters the pistons (apart from being dirty).

Two of Rotax 850s would be 1700cc yet under 100kg and deliver 330bhp. Are there any 3 litre 4-strokes that can can do that?

Its never as simple as the numbers suggest as strokers need tuned exhausts and other stuff but I really don't know why the car makers are not offering them.

Last edited:
I am also a big two stroke fan. I had a kart which made 40hp from a 125 that is 320hp per litre !
Personally for the ultimate 500 I think a smaller lighter engine would be best. Perhaps someone will put a Giulia 2.9V6 in one..

I often bang on about the Rotax direct injected 2 strokes. The US EPA dramatically tightened the emissions rules for off road engines. Most makers went to large and heavy four strokes but these struggle with NOx emissions so are only a partial solution. Rotax went for 2 strokes. They struggled with cold start emissions but direct injection solved the smelly smoky exhaust from old strokers.

Its never as simple as the numbers suggest as strokers need tuned exhausts and other stuff but I really don't know why the car makers are not offering them.

:Offtopic::yeahthat:

Proper TopGear want to California to see a 3 cylinder 2-stroke Ford Fiesta @1992..,:cool:

but in the end of course"Kalifornia" went OTT with emissions,
2-stroke off-roaders are Winter season only.. RED Sticker..,
and 4 stroke dirt bikes are Green sticker - all season.

still got 2-strokes myself..metered oil injection has been around since the 70's.

of course if the oil pump fails..you keep going till things seize:bang:

Last edited:
Doesn't sound possible to me. That engine is a great hulking thing, it would never fit. Even if it did, the power would be way too much for the chassis and it would instantly wrap itself around the nearest lamp post.

Not so. The 308 Qv on carbs only put out 240hp.
The Panda chassis is stiffer than a lotus elise !
You could could put way more than 240hp through it

Back