Tuning World of the damned

Currently reading:
Tuning World of the damned

888dee

Owner of a podium blue 595 Tricolore for a bit over a month now 1,500 miles under the wheels, straight through rear section and BlueSpark box fitted, next bolt on accessory ordered yesterday.....

[flame suit]

a towbar

[/flame suit]

Welcome to the forum :wave:

I guess it all depends whether the towbar is being used to hold a bike rack (good) - or tow a caravan (bad...) no TopGear fan could ever advocate for caravans ;)

Still, a small caravan can work well, as evidenced by generally happy posts in https://www.fiatforum.com/500/303504-baby-caravan-baby-fiat.html
Though I note the original poster eventually went with a camper van instead.

-Alex

Last edited:
yes for a bike rack :)

looked at all the options, including a seasucker and finally decided a hook was the best way.... also opens the caravan possibilities ;) ;)

yes for a bike rack :)

looked at all the options, including a seasucker and finally decided a hook was the best way.... also opens the caravan possibilities ;) ;)

I have a Paddy Hopkirk bike rack that clamps over the towball. If folds to fit in the boot when not needed. I had to get mine to pick up my daughter if it was raining !

must folder pretty small! ;)

I've already got a Thule thingie but doubt that will fit in the boot

must folder pretty small! ;)

I've already got a Thule thingie but doubt that will fit in the boot

Here's a picture.

bike rack.jpg :)

well this hasn't gone so well....

My car is a series 3 Abarth, only recently registered but is actually a MY14 car, I checked and rechecked the compatibility and was satisfied I was buying something that'd fit.... can you see where I'm going with this?

Clearance between the lowball and the bumper cover is very, well, limited. Obviously this only became apparent once it was all fitted and I'd made the cuts to the bumper.

it works for the bike rack, just, but I've also got a small trailer which won't work :(

emailed the seller so shall see what they say.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 72
Is the ball/arm bolted to its fixings ie could one with a longer reach be swapped in, failing that an engineering company could probably chop and add some length to it ?
This is often how my jobs go too so I feel for you can get you rather down at times

Last edited:
Is the ball/arm bolted to its fixings ie could one with a longer reach be swapped in, failing that an engineering company could probably chop and add some length to it ?
This is often how my jobs go too so I feel for you can get you rather down at times

there was a major overhaul of UK towing equipment @10 years ago,

the talk at the time was that Brink and Witter would be the sole suppliers of "type-approved" towbars,
as the CAD modelling and stress analysis isn't cheap.

1, 888dee the bar is OBVIOUSLY wrong for your 500

2, DO NOT extend it, as the load the ball is capable of will be diminished, and it's lateral strength could be seriously compromised.

there was a major overhaul of UK towing equipment @10 years ago,

the talk at the time was that Brink and Witter would be the sole suppliers of "type-approved" towbars,
as the CAD modelling and stress analysis isn't cheap.

1, 888dee the bar is OBVIOUSLY wrong for your 500

2, DO NOT extend it, as the load the ball is capable of will be diminished, and it's lateral strength could be seriously compromised.

Keep calm sir!

I have been speaking to them and they have said the same, concerns around type approval and so on if the neck is swapped for a longer one...

According to the catalogue the bar is type approved for "312" body type which the Abarth is but the extended bumper cover is not part of the testing process, both the supplier and myself are fallen foul of a lack of attention to detail by the manufacturer.

Interestingly, strictly speaking type approval only applies if you use the hook for towing. Type approval is not needed for use of ball mounted accessories such as bike carriers.

Now the grey area crops up... Does the existence of a bar on a car prove its use?

Anyway, the supplier have offered to pay for collection and refund but this doesn't resolve the issue of the cut diffuser so I'll be after the £60 or so for a genuine replacement off eBay.

Solution found.

They have supplied a longer neck which will allow use of the bike rack with less fear of damaging the bumper, should arrive monday.

Got to say the supplier have been excellent considering we are both essentially victims of a lack of attention to detail by the manufacturer.

I dare say some of the community will find this unacceptable, ridiculous, dangerous and that I should be burned at the stake for such a flagrant and careless act, you are of course entitled to your opinion but I am comfortable I have a solution which will satisfy my needs in a safe way.

If anyone else wishes to know who the supplier were and what was required please feel free to PM me so we can discuss in a flame free environment :)

Solution found.

They have supplied a longer neck which will allow use of the bike rack with less fear of damaging the bumper, should arrive monday.

Got to say the supplier have been excellent considering we are both essentially victims of a lack of attention to detail by the manufacturer.

I dare say some of the community will find this unacceptable, ridiculous, dangerous and that I should be burned at the stake for such a flagrant and careless act, you are of course entitled to your opinion but I am comfortable I have a solution which will satisfy my needs in a safe way.

If anyone else wishes to know who the supplier were and what was required please feel free to PM me so we can discuss in a flame free environment :)

fine solution for YOUR needs, :)

I'd get the extended one marked ( etched) with a reduced load marker..;)

then no doubts if you / next owner try to tow a caravan with it..:rolleyes:

Charlie

that's a good point but as I now don't know for sure what the safe load is I will likely remove it from the car before selling it :)

delighted, replacement hook has arrived whilst I've been away this week, position and usability is now spot on :)

Back