Technical Projector light wishbones

Currently reading:
Technical Projector light wishbones

Thanks 306maxi (y)

Is the sensor built in? Or is it just provisional holes on the normal 500 wishbone..

(i.e. could I just modify a normal, easily available, much cheaper wishbone!)

Obviously you'd need to do a detailed inspection to confirm this, but with a bit of DIY skill and initiative, it might be possible to transfer the relevant additional parts across from the old wishbone to the new. There are plenty of images on the internet of the standard 500 front wishbone, or you could just buy one sale or return from ECP or the like.

Do let us know how you get on, as this could benefit other 500 owners with HID's. All of us are quite likely to need to replace the wishbones at some time during the car's life.

Sensors have to be on the front suspension to stop the car from blinding people of the front rides too high because of a bump or something in the back.

Consider that the wishbone stops your wheels from pointing in different directions then consider if you want to 'modify' a cheaper part to save a few quid which could be the difference between going round a corner or taking a more direct route through a hedge.

Apparently they are different with or without projector headlights, whats the difference?

Is the sensor built in? Or is it just provisional holes on the normal 500 wishbone.

According to ePER, there's one sensor on the rear and one on the front. The front one is only fitted to the left wishbone, so only the left wishbone is different. On the first diagram, !230 is for vehicles without HID headlamps, 230 is for with HID headlamps.

It looks as though the front sensor link rod mounting bracket (11) on ther second diagram, bolts to the wishbone with 2 screws (12). I believe the screw is shown in the wrong position in the diagram, and that the bracket is fixed to the wishbone with the 2 screws going through the outer holes in the bracket, and the link rod goes in the centre hole.

It would appear that the only difference is 2 holes taped into the wishbone for the 2 screws. So if you're able to drill and tap the holes in the correct positions, you should be able to use a normal left wishbone.

Attachments

• A500 Wishbone.JPG
    A500 Wishbone.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 86
  • A500 Link Rod.JPG
    A500 Link Rod.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 48
According to ePER, there's one sensor on the rear and one on the front. The front one is only fitted to the left wishbone, so only the left wishbone is different. On the first diagram, !230 is for vehicles without HID headlamps, 230 is for with HID headlamps.

It looks as though the front sensor link rod mounting bracket (11) on ther second diagram, bolts to the wishbone with 2 screws (12). I believe the screw is shown in the wrong position in the diagram, and that the bracket is fixed to the wishbone with the 2 screws going through the outer holes in the bracket, and the link rod goes in the centre hole.

It would appear that the only difference is 2 holes taped into the wishbone for the 2 screws. So if you're able to drill and tap the holes in the correct positions, you should be able to use a normal left wishbone.

Thanks Davren (y) I had a feeling it`d be something like that, but my eper doesnt cover the 500 so I couldnt check, plus I cant find any pictures of the HID version anywhere online.

I think I`ll just order a pair of normal ones & physically see what the differences are when I get the old ones off the car, if I deem it safe, I`ll drill & tap the standard ones.

Then I can change the bushes & balljoints on the old pair so I`ll have them on standby.

Sensors have to be on the front suspension to stop the car from blinding people of the front rides too high because of a bump or something in the back.

Consider that the wishbone stops your wheels from pointing in different directions then consider if you want to 'modify' a cheaper part to save a few quid which could be the difference between going round a corner or taking a more direct route through a hedge.

I`m a qualified mechanic & engineer, I`m not in the habit of doing things that`ll land anyone in a ditch, so dont worry..

Thanks Davren (y) I had a feeling it`d be something like that, but my eper doesnt cover the 500 so I couldnt check, plus I cant find any pictures of the HID version anywhere online.

I think I`ll just order a pair of normal ones & physically see what the differences are when I get the old ones off the car, if I deem it safe, I`ll drill & tap the standard ones.

Then I can change the bushes & balljoints on the old pair so I`ll have them on standby.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa let's take a step back here. Firstly you can't change the balljoints. If the balljoint is gone then you want to put the arm in the bin.

Also, whilst you could potentially drill them just fine, there is always the chance of getting it wrong. If you do get it wrong then it's your life on the line and if someone gets hurt, potentially you being sued.

Hi Mr Insurer, yes I drilled out my suspension arms, please insure me!

Whoa whoa whoa whoa let's take a step back here. Firstly you can't change the balljoints. If the balljoint is gone then you want to put the arm in the bin.

Also, whilst you could potentially drill them just fine, there is always the chance of getting it wrong. If you do get it wrong then it's your life on the line and if someone gets hurt, potentially you being sued.

Hi Mr Insurer, yes I drilled out my suspension arms, please insure me!

Ok, let me just say, if I take it off & can see its safe to do, I`ll do it, if it isnt, they will go in the bin.

From what I can make out, its going to be 1 or 2 threaded holes to connect the link bar to the sensor, as in, its not going to be load-bearing, I expect the normal wishbones will have a provision for the threaded hole cast into them during manufacture.

If this isnt the case & the whole wishbone is structurally different, then a proper one will have to be got.

As I said, I`m a qualified mechanic & engineer, I`m not some teenager chopping chunks out of the suspension for "stance".. I`m not going to be doing anything to compromise its safety.

As for the ball joint, I`ll see if it needs replacing & how its fitted when I get the old ones off, it may just need bushes.

The difference is I AM qualified & have been in the motor trade & engineering for 27 years straight, I`m not some incompetent half arsed DIYer with no concept of whats safe or not. No car I have ever worked on has failed in any way due to anything I`ve done, & I`ve done similar mods to this before.

As I`ve said several times, if theres ANY aspect of it that I`m not 110% confident is safe, it wont happen, OK?

Do you want me to send copies of my qualifications, a CV & a PNC check now? Jeez..

Oh, & way to go with the exhaust cutting BTW, using a grinder 1 handed, arm outstretched.. And you think you are some kind of authority on safety? :confused:

You're not the first person to think you're clever trying to challenge me on that video. The point is I posted it as I wanted people to see it to stop people doing things like that.

You have fun drilling holes in your wishbones to save a couple of quid.

Back