General My new Abarth 595 Competizione 180

Currently reading:
General My new Abarth 595 Competizione 180

BeeJay60

Following an extremely unreliable experience with a new 595 Competizione 160, I collected my brand new replacement Cordolo Red Competizione 180 on 3rd June 2015, from Arnold Clark Edinburgh.

I have now covered 1760 miles in my new 180 following a week's holiday touring the Yorkshire Dales and north Wales. This is a completely different car to the previous 160 model. The new Garrett turbo engine and Monza exhaust sounds beefier and more rorty, and mid-range punch is noticeably more potent. The new engine also spins eagerly and more smoothly to the red line. The turbo boost gauge has also been recalibrated slightly. The standard Brembo front brakes are reassuringly efficient, a factor well tested on the undulating Yorkshire dales and north Wales "B" roads. I also liked the new alloy wheel design. The wheels on my car are in satin black finish which blends well with the black Abarth sidewinder decal and Cordolo Red paint.

The handling, for public road driving, is both confidence inspiring and compliant enough to cope with most road surfaces. The steering is also reasonably communicative in "Sport" mode which I choose to use all of the time. I have yet to experience the car on the track. Whenever an opportunity arises I shall report back on that aspect at a later date.

If I have a criticism it is that the Sabelt sport seats are set too high on the subframes with no height adjustment available. For my 5' 10" frame I would prefer the seats to be 2 to 3 inches lower. Also a two-way adjustable steering wheel option would be good, rather than the current height only adjustable arrangement.

On my car tour of 1350 miles I averaged 38.6 mpg on Shell V-Power on a mixture of motorways and spirited driving on undulating "B" roads. Having owned both the 160 and the 180 within a few weeks of each other, this is the car Abarth should have produced as the Competizione model in the first place. It's a cracker!

Brian

Interesting read mate, but seriously, get some pics up!! Show her off!!

09 Grande Punto Abarth

My north Wales route was A55, A470, A487 to Porthmadog.Then Betws-y-Coed to Caernarfon. I did notice Plod or otherwise Traffic Officer, at the exit of a tunnel near Bangor when I was pressing on to meet an appointment at Zip World near Bethesda. I wasn't stopped or pursued, just got a glare from the driver. The Zip Wire experience was amazing by the way!

Brian

My north Wales route was A55, A470, A487 to Porthmadog.Then Betws-y-Coed to Caernarfon. I did notice Plod or otherwise Traffic Officer, at the exit of a tunnel near Bangor when I was pressing on to meet an appointment at Zip World near Bethesda. I wasn't stopped or pursued, just got a glare from the driver. The Zip Wire experience was amazing by the way!

Brian
Yes I know those roads very well, we used to live in that area. I had a lease car that had "foreign" number plates which combined with my job working odd hours meant that I was followed and stopped on numerous occasions. The next one I got the lease company to register in Bangor:D

The 595 Competizione 180 is the Abarth I wish I could buy in the US.

Ours come standard with 160bhp and the Garrett turbo on a MultiAir 1.4 - so it doesn't take much to bring it in line powerwise. I have already added an ECM and a few other mods which should have it in the 200bhp range, and it is a BEAST.

Have the European 595 badges to install as well so it will look the part! I just wish I could get some of the 595 interior touches without spending a fortune.

Was very pleased to read your post about the differences between the 160hp and 180hp Competizione

Will be getting a new car at the end of this year so need to act now for a factory order to get here in time.

Have driven the Anniversay model which is mechanically the same as the Competizione 180hp and as you said very different to the standard 160hp model. Just what I want, especially the Monza

So after reading your original post I contacted the dealer I had been talking to get a price on the 180hp Competizione and work out the time frame, etc

The answer
Fiat Australia in their wisdom will NOT be bringing that model here
eek.gif
eek.gif
banghead.gif
banghead.gif

I said to him "You have to be kidding - the penultimate Arbarth and we won't be getting it" "I give up" :shrug:

and I have - spoke to the VW dealer on the weekend
In the next couple of weeks will place an order for a Scirocco R .
By getting a car that is already ordered and in the system the pressure is off but the good news is they will take an order for "extended" delivery with price all locked in.

Totally different car I know, a tad dearer but a lot more car for the money and just as much fun to drive and oh what a sound.
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Still disappointed with the 180hp Competizione though
shakehead.gif

Sounds like a great one, i only know the Scorpione from a friend with the Esseesse kit and its amazing.

Btw, what about the pics?
:)

Back